Small graphics issues with games on the iMac G5

Discussion in 'Games' started by LukeW, Nov 14, 2005.

1. LukeW macrumors member

Hi,

Just a quick question really to anyone who has a new iMac. I mainly use my new mac for work but I like to play the odd game on it, however I have noticed with all the 3D games I have, there is an awful lot of flickering going on, in everything from Halo to Rayman 3 to Worms 3D to Unreal Tournament, none of the turning movements are very smooth, there is a lot of horizontal flickering across the screen, and this is present in all the games I have played so far. I figured it was having the games at too high a resolution or with too high settings, but even running at 1024-by-768 at medium settings, it is still present. Heck, running at 800 X 600 with everything set as low in Halo produced it almost as bad as running with everything up. Movement in the games seem smooth enough, the frame rates seems good, it is just the flickering whenever the character or camera turns on screen. Is this present with all games and is just something I should try to ignore, or is it something I can correct, or worse, a flaw, though I am guessing this is pretty unlikely.
    Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. :eek:

2. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Can the flickering be described as screen tearing? If so, try turning VSync on in the game's options to see if that helps any. Any other kind of flickering shouldn't be occuring unless there is a hardware issue with the video chip.

3. LukeW thread starter macrumors member

I have had VSync both on and off and it does not really seem to make much difference, maybe a slight change in Halo. It is possibly screen tearing, the flickers are like long horizontal lines that go across a wall, if you know what I mean. If there is a 3D dimension object in the background, the lines will appear over that object for a second or two if I turn the camera or character. Some games are worse than others, but they all have the problem.
    :confused:

4. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Do you have the new new iMac with the x600 or the old new with the 9600 (or whatever it was after the 5200fx)? I know on the 1G iMacs there were some issues with capacitors on the main board that could cause some graphics corruption like you are describing, and I THINK they had something similar with the 2g. Dunno about the newest models, though.

5. LukeW thread starter macrumors member

Brand new, hot out of the Apple warehouse, so it would have the x600, yes. I imagine it is possible they havent fixed the problem for the new machines. Apart from that, the machine is a beauty, and it hardly ruins the games per say, just a bit of a pain, specially when you like to look around and enjoy the graphics, with games like Unreal Tournament 2004, the problem is still there, though not as bad as in Halo, but you are running around too fast to really notice.

6. salvatorino macrumors newbie

i have the same problem, and you can also notice the problem in the flurry screensaver...

the question now is: what do we have to do???

i also added 1gb ram more and the problem is still there..

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I have an iMac 2G, but I've only played Enemy Territory... i had to turn the settings down really low (like 800x600 or 640x480 resolution and Low detail) to get it work at hosting a game without chugging though, I have 1GB RAM and a 2Ghz processor and a 9600 Graphics card. Even though I love my iMac, PC's are better for gaming... It certainly doesn't flicker though and the screensaver works fine too...

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Lukew should make sure he has the performance settings turned all the way up and there shouldnt be any flickering. Call Apple.

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I notice this all the time when I'm playing Medal of Honor. I think at one time I had heard something about de-interlacing, or perhaps drivers.

10. salvatorino macrumors newbie

well, if the problems are due to drivers i hope apple will solve them with the os x 10.4.4

11. LukeW thread starter macrumors member

You mean game settings or mac settings? It seems strange that also in some games, the computer settles down a bit while playing them, or maybe you dont notice them as much, with Unreal Tournament it becomes barely noticeable, but could be just because the game runs very smoothly anyway,and ofcourse is very fast in terms of gameplay, even with full settings and resolution etc.
    I have all noticed that games like Halo, when set at a lower resolution and settings, actually flicker WORSE than having them set high, so I have found the game actually plays better with the settings put as high as possible without starting to get a naff frame rate. Rayman3 however is pretty much unplayable as it involves too much scenery moving, making the game just one great flicker-fest.

12. LukeW thread starter macrumors member

Never had a problem with the screensaver, or at least I never noticed it, then again now I use a different one.
    I get the feeling RAM is not an issue, it may make the framerate a tad faster but that is about it, I had very much the same thoughts as you, but after playing around it does not seem to have any real affect expedt to make things faster.
    I get the feeling it sounds like a driver issue, though if Apple will fix it or not, well, I have no idea, they didnt with the big update a while ago.
    Other than that, the mac runs like a beauty for everything else, absolutely perfect and beautifully quiet. I really recommend the new(ish) iMac.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Did you ever go into your system preferences and turn up your system to max for gaming? The factory ships those things turned down for energy i think.