Small iPhone to Have Edge to Edge Screen, Voice Navigation?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 13, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The Wall Street Journal has updated their previous story, adding some new details about the rumored smaller iPhone.
    The new phone is said to have an "edge to edge" screen with (obviously) a touch interface. The one possibly new feature appears to be "voice navigation". Apple already offers some rudimentary Voice Control with the current iPhone, so it's not clear if this voice navigation is something really new. The newspaper also adds that the iPhone 4 is also expected to be updated.

Article Link: Small iPhone to Have Edge to Edge Screen, Voice Navigation?

2. macrumors 6502a

TheSlush

Unless it's going to be a device with just a few redesigned native apps -- and not connected to the App Store ecosystem -- then this is not something that's going to happen. The current iPhone OS and app user interfaces cannot shrink without the user experience going to hell.

3. macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

So instead of a bigger screen we'll have the option to opt for a smaller screen? Nice.

4. macrumors 604

wordoflife

Voice based navigation?
    How is that going to work with a lot of background noise outside?

5. macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Wow, so many iPhone nano rumours at once! I think it is coming to fruition after all. :eek:

6. macrumors 68000

English isn't my first language so forgive me if this is a stupid question, but what is an edge to edge screen? And how does it differ from what we have in iPhone's today?

7. macrumors member

Uh oh. Didn't Apple learn their lesson with the iPod shuffle/cigarette lighter fiasco? Let's hope this is something entirely different.

8. macrumors G3

Kilamite

Unless it had the same resolution as the first three generations of iPhone (480x320).

(edited as pointed out by alectheking)

9. macrumors member

iPave

iPhone 4 gets updated with a new "edge to edge" screen? How? Via software update?

10. macrumors member

No home button, basically. Just a giant glass slate without a border.

11. macrumors 601

Prof.

The screen will make up the entire face of the iPhone.

12. macrumors 6502a

you mean 480x320.

13. boshii, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2011

macrumors 68040

boshii

I'm guessing it means no black bezel on the face of the screen, which should've been done already.

Enter 4GS ;)

14. macrumors regular

Why can't we get a slightly LARGER iPhone? . . . All I'm asking for is a 3.7" or a 4". . .

Dear :apple:,

I'm Kind of a BIG deal. :cool: (Meaning I have larger hands...) :rolleyes: I'm not asking for much, but if you're going to actually make a 'nano' version, make the standard-sized just a wee bit larger.

Sincerely,
    Andrew0122

PS: Now please take my moniez for a pre-order and let me get it 2-3 days before the masses. THANKS!

15. macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Even then, it's not the resolution that's the point. The interface and apps are designed for a 3.5" display. Any smaller and they wouldn't work properly. Buttons would be too small to press etc., meaning that the current apps in the App Store wouldn't be compatible.

If this phone really does get released, I'm guessing it'll run iOS in a similar way to how the iPod nano currently does (its own few apps and no access to the App Store).

16. macrumors 6502a

mrblack927

I wouldn't say that. It's all coming from the same source (WSJ) and they could easily be wrong, especially when the rumor is supposedly 6+ months out...

17. macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

You need the bezel to hold the phone without touching the display, much like how the iPad has a thick bezel around its display.

18. macrumors regular

Thus entered the iPhone 4 for with a second microphone located near the headphone plug to reduce background noise...

19. macrumors 68040

boshii

No you don't. I never touch the bezel.

When it's in my hand, it's either resting on my palm or i'm gripping it by the antenna.

20. macrumors member

Don't forget, Apple purchased...

...the AI based electronic butler service a year or so ago. I forget the name of the company (although I did know the founders!) and it allows you to issue spoken commands in natural English. IE, "Book appointment at hotel XYZ from START DATE to END DATE" etc.

And being the service is cloud based (I believe), it could (like Google voice search) work on any connected device.

21. macrumors 6502

Given the level of details, at least a prototype exists. Whether it comes to market or not is the question.

If it hits production, this is a big leak. I am sure people at Apple are not too pleased about this.

22. macrumors 68020

Reach9

So if i have this right, then in the next few months we'll be seeing..

iPad 2
    MacBook Pro refresh
    iPhone 5 (or iPhone 4GS or whatever it'll be called)
    iPhone Nano (with edge to edge screen) (or whatever it'll be called)
    iOS 5
    Mac OS X 10.7
    Free MobileMe
    iTunes air sync

wow..this is amazing.

I really like the idea of a smaller phone, but i think "half-size" is cutting it too small, but we'll see. This is gonna be a huge blow to Android, as Apple will now be competing against the amount of iPhones in the market with the iPhone Nano, along with the specs of the Android devices as well with the iPhone 5.
    Both possibly running a polished iOS 5.

And for all of us with Macs, we'll be seeing Lion be released, and maybe iOS 5 and Lion will have some sort of syncing ability or something. Their releases seem pretty close by.

23. macrumors 6502a

ciTiger

24. macrumors 6502a

ciTiger

You're forgetting the MBP refresh...

25. macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Would love to see the top and bottom black edging shrink or almost disappear. I've wanted that since the first iPhone.

I see some mentioning they want a bigger screen... to each their own but I would never want anything bigger than the current iPhone. It's PHONE.. not a tablet or a laptop. I see people with the 4" Droids and it makes me laugh. Looks ridiculous. I'm fine with options, but as long as they don't ever bring the standard size up. That would stink.