Small is beautiful... is stupid

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rebhaf, Mar 23, 2006.

1. rebhaf macrumors member

Am I the only one that thinks this Mac mini slogan is stupid? Of all the things you could say about the Mac mini, "beautiful" is a bit of an exaggeration. OK, it's not ugly, but it's not even close to being as attractive as the iMac. And even if it were true, isn't it a bit pretentious? I realize they probably mean "beautiful" in a more functionality way, not aesthetic, but it still seems weird.

Way back, the U.S. had a nice slogan for the iPod mini: "Small. The next big thing." And here in Europe, I've seen some nice Mac mini copy writing, like "Small has never been bigger" and "Small, but big where you need it to be."

Is Apple running out of ideas or do they just figure that music commercials are all they need to concentrate on now?

I know, who cares? I'm just bored. But every time I open the Internet in the morning, that's the first thing I read.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The alternate definition (on my Mac) for beautiful is:
    I think that definitely applies. Also, I consider the mini to be visually beautiful as well, certainly as a tiny addition to my home theater (where I very loosely define "theater" as "TV with a cable tuner box and DVD player connected to it").

3. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

Front Row : Media Never Looked This Good
    Mac Mini : It's Not The Size That Matters, It's How You Use It

4. exeterbohemian macrumors regular

couldn't you say the same thing about most (if not all) of apple's products, ad campaigns, monikers, and etymologies?

5. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

"The world's fastest, most powerful personal computer" comes to mind...

6. rebhaf thread starter macrumors member

Ha ha! Somehow I think that second one would have trouble getting through. Though it's nice.

Your Front Row slogan is similar to an Apple email ad I saw for speakers (Bose, I think): "Your playlist never sounded this good", or something like that.

7. rebhaf thread starter macrumors member

Fair point. This is true. But for some reason, it just sounds OVERLY pretentious to call your own product beautiful. That's what you want your customers to think, but without you having to say it. To say you're rip-roaring fast or loaded with great features -- this seems ok to me for some reason. I can't really explain why, because it's the same thing really. I guess it's just a personal style preference.

8. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I think the mac minis are quite beautiful, and I personally am not an imac fan. They're just cute little boxes though mac minis!

9. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

My favorite is how everything Apple makes is "blazing fast."

10. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

LOL yeah but not on there deliverys :rolleyes:

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Interestingly, we had a Japanese guest in class a week ago who explained how an inherent philosophy in Japanese culture is "small is beautiful" (exact words). Which explains why huge consoles like the XBox failed in Japan and why Apple is so popular.

12. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Maybe you should change your home page then.;)

13. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

I see where you are coming from, I really do, but after all, it's just advertising. I mean, would you rather them advertise the Mini as, "Slightly less beautiful than an iMac"? :p

14. exeterbohemian macrumors regular

yeah i see where you're coming from. performance, etc. is a more a matter of direct objectivity, whereas appearances tend to be wholly subjective.