Small Needs Server?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ingenious, Jun 18, 2005.

1. ingenious macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    http://www.smalldog.com/product/35303/atfgc

If I coupled the above machine with OS X 10.4 Server, would it be enough to handle being a server for a small church office? i.e. 5 or so email accounts, web site (small, low load), firewall/antivirus/spyware scanning.

Thanks for your input,

ingenious

edit: I realized after posting that the machine only has 256 MB RAM, so please consider that it may be upgraded to 512 MB.

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

if you want to use that server as a firewall that is a silly idea. security should be done in layers. you should put a firewall on the router level and on the server. regarding virus scanning, 10.4 has a virus scanner in the email server called CalmAv. I am not sure if you thinking you needed to run a regular virus scanner/spyware.

3. macorama macrumors regular

I'd say no trouble at all. Email for 5 users is no load at all, unless you're getting sending huge amounts of email. Assuming your website is under 1000 hits an hour then that's only one every three seconds, so no problem there either. So I think that machine will cover your needs for some time to come.

4. ingenious thread starter macrumors 65832

ingenious

Virginia, United States (Kansan in exile)
    I should've worded that differently. You see, except for my PB, all of the machines on the network are PCs, mostly running versions of Windows 98.

edit:

am I also correct in assuming that it can handle this and some small file/print services? i.e. between 10 PCs. Pretty sure in this, just checking in; thanks for your responses.