Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
For some reason, in the past few months I've noticed that when I go to type something, the first letter I type will not go through. For instance, if I go to enter a URL, I'll end up with "orums.macrumors.com". This happens in IM windows, browsers, when entering a username and/or password, pretty much anywhere you can enter text.

I'm not sure when this problem started, but it only happens 1/10th of the time, not everytime. It does happen everyday several times, though, and it's very annoying.

Has anyone ever seen this issue before or know what I can do to try and resolve it?

Thanks! :)

JBot

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2006
Calgary.Alberta.Canada
The only thing close to this that ive heard of is when you are entering a password to restart your computer from sleep/screensaver.
Is it in the middle of use that it avoids the first letter? Or will the computer not be in use for ane xtended period of time, than you try typing something?

baby duck monge

macrumors 68000
Feb 16, 2003
Memphis, TN
someguy said:
For some reason, in the past few months I've noticed that when I go to type something, the first letter I type will not go through. For instance, if I go to enter a URL, I'll end up with "orums.macrumors.com". This happens in IM windows, browsers, when entering a username and/or password, pretty much anywhere you can enter text.

I'm not sure when this problem started, but it only happens 1/10th of the time, not everytime. It does happen everyday several times, though, and it's very annoying.

Has anyone ever seen this issue before or know what I can do to try and resolve it?

Thanks! :)

My PowerBook does the same thing sometimes! The only time I notice it happening is with URLs. I have no idea why it's happening, but I feel like it wasn't doing it before 10.4.7 - maybe that's my imagination, though :confused:

Specs in sig.

<edit>
Also, out of curiosity, could you PM with the price you would consider paying for the Mini in my sig. It could also be available with a 17" LCD monitor.
</edit>

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
baby duck monge said:
My PowerBook does the same thing sometimes! The only time I notice it happening is with URLs. I have no idea why it's happening, but I feel like it wasn't doing it before 10.4.7 - maybe that's my imagination, though.
I kind of feel like that too, but I can't really say for sure.

JBot said:
The only thing close to this that ive heard of is when you are entering a password to restart your computer from sleep/screensaver.
Is it in the middle of use that it avoids the first letter? Or will the computer not be in use for ane xtended period of time, than you try typing something?
I'm not really sure, to be honest. I think it's happens more if the 'book has sat for a few minutes, but I never really noticed the trend.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Still happening and still very annoying.

Figured it's time for a bump. :)

Anyone know anything else about how to make this stop?

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
I'm going insane. It's become a habitual thing now.

Step 1: Move mouse to turn backlight on.
Step 2: Hit any key a couple times to "enable" the freakin' keyboard.
Step 3: Enjoy.

Step 2 should not be necessary and Step 3 is a challenge sometimes. Today I went to open a few links in a new tab, and held Command down and began clicking away. The only thing that opened was the last link I clicked, and it opened in the same tab I was using (read: the command key did not register). Then, I let up on the key and noticed very strange behavior out of my mouse. I could not click most things, right clicking worked fine, and the Expose shortcut I have set my mouse to did not work. Apparently, the command key was still "held down" as far as the computer was concerned and so everything I did happened as if the command key were held down - which it was not physically being pressed.

Someone help, this is just stupid.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
yellow said:
Normal troubleshooting ensues:

Thanks for responding, yellow.

It doesn't seem to happen with other users. I created another user and let the machine sit for a bit, came back and it worked like a charm. There's the possibility that I didn't let it sit long enough, but I'm pretty sure had I been logged into this user account, the problem would've shown itself by that time.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Well, that's good news. It means it's something screwy with your particular user. The bad news is, it's going to be a lot harder to find from here on out. Does this always happen in a web browser? Any web browser or only Safari?

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
yellow said:
Well, that's good news. It means it's something screwy with your particular user. The bad news is, it's going to be a lot harder to find from here on out. Does this always happen in a web browser? Any web browser or only Safari?
I use Shiira for everyday use, but it happens in anything from browsing the web in any browser, to chatting in Adium or iChat, to hitting F12 for Dashboard.

Any key for any reason after the machine sits dormant for (if I had to guess..) about 10-15 minutes.

I do have my display set to turn off after 15 minutes, but this does not have to take place before the problem occurs. I can come to the machine after making a sandwich in the kitchen and go to type something and experience the issue regardless of whether or not the screen has shut off in that time period.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Repairing permissions won't help because it doesn't descend into the /User hierarchy, where this problem resides.

You can find info about fsck by using some Google-fu. Again, since this appears to be an issue with your user, I seriously doubt fsck will help at all.

The best test will be to log in as root, rename the Library folder in your home directory (~/Library) to Library.BAK, log out as root, log back in as yourself, and check and see if everything works as normal.

Yes? Then we know that it's something in your ~/Library. We go from there.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
yellow said:
The best test will be to log in as root, rename the Library folder in your home directory (~/Library) to Library.BAK, log out as root, log back in as yourself, and check and see if everything works as normal.
I will do this as soon as possible and let you know the results. Thanks! :)

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
yellow said:
Make sure you rename the one in your home directory and not the one at the root of your hard drive. ;)
Good tip! :D

I'm leaving for most of the night so look for a response tomorrow sometime most likely.

Thanks again. :)

ormandj

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
If it doesn't affect the other user, wiping out your preferences/etc (renaming the Library folder accomplishes this) will work.

The only thing I question - this is typical behavior, and quite normal from what little I can discern from your posts.

When the machine sits idle, the backlight dims prior to the machine sleeping/display cutting off - it takes a key to get it back up and running (and that key does not get input - which is GOOD). Also, when it sleeps, takes a bit to wake up after the first keypress. Another thing, "focus". Sometimes you might not have focus on the input area of the application you are trying to use. Etc, there are many many many reasons why this can occur, all of them "normal". If wiping pref's truly does solve your problem, however, great. :)

Good luck,
David

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
ormandj said:
If it doesn't affect the other user, wiping out your preferences/etc (renaming the Library folder accomplishes this) will work.

The only thing I question - this is typical behavior, and quite normal from what little I can discern from your posts.

When the machine sits idle, the backlight dims prior to the machine sleeping/display cutting off - it takes a key to get it back up and running (and that key does not get input - which is GOOD). Also, when it sleeps, takes a bit to wake up after the first keypress. Another thing, "focus". Sometimes you might not have focus on the input area of the application you are trying to use. Etc, there are many many many reasons why this can occur, all of them "normal". If wiping pref's truly does solve your problem, however, great. :)

Good luck,
David
Leave your machine sit with a new TextEdit window open and in focus. Come back an hour later. Move the mouse if necessary to see the screen, then press one key. I bet your machine inputs that key to the document.

My point: I don't think this is normal. I know it's not a huge issue, and I certainly don't claim to know much about OS X, but I don't recall this issue when I first got my machine and it doesn't affect my iMac G4 or my mother's Core Duo iMac.

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Sorry I'm taking so long to do this. As I said in another thread, I'm a huge procrastinator.

I also have no idea how to login as root. :eek:

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
Alright, nearly two months later, I finally got around to following your instructions, yellow. :)

I logged in as root, and changed the Library folder for my account (NOT the Library folder for the System Admin account - it kind of read that way in your post but I assumed you meant the Library folder in the account I use regularly) to Library.BAK.

Logged back in and noticed everything is basically set to defaults again! ;)

EDIT: Originally it seemed fine, but perhaps I didn't wait long enough the first time. The problem still occurs. Could there be some kind of setting somewhere that cuts power to the keyboard after so long and doesn't restore it until a key is pressed? That's the way it acts, and it doesn't do this on my buddies MPB, or anyone else's Apple laptop as far as I've been able to find out.

Anyways, sorry I took so damn long to respond. Hopefully it doesn't take you that long to get back to me. :D

someguy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Still here.
What do your energy saver settings look like?
Is your HD set to spin down when plugged in?
Yes, it is. I could try disabling that setting, but if you don't mind me saying, I don't think that's the problem. My reason is because I can be using the mouse for 30 minutes or so, playing music, surfing from link to link, etc. (tasks which require the hard drive obviously) and when I go to type after not typing anything for so long, the first key I press is ignored.

Nearly everytime someone randoming instant messages me, they get a "ey" or "hat's up?" response. :rolleyes:

Here are screenshots of my Energy Saver settings. I keep my PowerBook plugged in 99% of the time, with the battery taken out and set off to the side.

Attachments

• powersettings1.png
    powersettings1.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 65
  • powersettings2.png
    powersettings2.png
    79.3 KB · Views: 52
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.