Small problem im having...some advice please...

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jdm_rsx, Jul 3, 2005.

1. Jdm_rsx macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Well, just got a letter in the mail today from my insurance company they wont renew my auto policy with them for 06-07

heres what happened
    back in august 04, i had an accident my car and insurance paid out 18k

then 4 months later, decemeber 04, someone broke into my integra and i made a claim

then till today, it has been peaceful and my insurance company
    decided to drop me

my parents and i have been with them for 13 years...

can they just do that? what can i dO?

this company is called
    tradewind, altas, or island insurance

or am i just screwed and gonna have to suck up the extra cost now?

if i need a new company
    what would you guys recommend?
    so far, ppl told me
    progressive, allstate, statefarm and dtric (local for hawaii residents)

or AIG

all advice welcome, please help! im so lost and dont know to do

worst part..its saturday / sunday i cant call anyone for help

someone ppl told me to find one insurance lawyer and go from there

some ppl say that insurance cant just drop you like that...

been hearin so many diff opinions...dont know what to do...
  2. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    If teh insurance company decides you are a greater risk than they want to take on, they can certainly drop you. It happens all of the time. Unfortunately anyone that you cahnge to will also ask you about previous events, accidents, moving violations etc. It is all part of their underwriting process. This means that your accident will most likely count against you with your next company.
    I have my home/auto thru AMEX and they have been great. I don't know if they offer coverage in HI though. I can't find the number right now, but I do know they are out of Green Bay. I think they even have Sat/Sun hours (think.....)

Good luck. Insurance is a pain in the arse.....
  3. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    I too, think that they can drop you under the circumstances. Another company likely will take you, but at a much higher premium due to the risk. I would think that the more reputable the company, the less likely you would deal with this type of thing. So many these days in the States (not implying you) are just interested in getting enough coverage to be "legal" that companies insure till you have an accident, then drop you.

Remember, the insurance company is betting that you won't have an accident... you are betting that you will!

I have State Farm, and have had for 35 years. Always had excellent service, even when my son totaled our Chevy Astro van, and when a fellow pulled out in front of my Ford Explorer. My Explorer was in the shop for nearly a month and I had a rental for that whole time. My agent is the BEST, and I wouldn't change from her for anything in the world. In fact, I was at her office once to drop something off, and my piece of junk car wouldn't start and she drove me home! :eek:

Good luck!

Woof, Woof - Dawg
  4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    I think there should be more protection of customers in the insurance world. People just get screwed. What purpose do insurance companies think they serve in this world? If there's an accident, they pay it. That's it. They don't exist just to collect money from you every year. Its not supposed to be a money collecting business. That would be crazy. They exist to cover damage. I don't know why they think that this is such a hassle. Its their obligation.

People also shouldn't be afraid to phone their insurance company after an accident. Enough of that goes on as well.
  5. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    well, i will call my insurance company on tuesday, the next working to find out why and whats going on really...ill update this if anyone happens to care about this event..

has anyone else had something like happened to them before? or similar to my situation..

sigh, i feel so lost....and confused...
  6. skubish macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I use AAA they are the best. I have had a couple of major accidents (>$10k in damage) and they haven't dropped me.
  7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Well this one guy at my work had 3 yes 3 "episodes" and totaled 2 new cars. now while he didn't get dropped he did have a huge increase from $850 a yr. to (this makes me :p ) $2800 a yr. for the next 5 yrs. if he stays with them. So things might be better for you to go else where or not since they dropped you.
  8. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    is there anything i can do because i wish to stay with them?

or is it pretty much the final decision?

u guys heard of my insurance company??

many people stay statefarm looks at your entire history that true?

not just recent?

if we look at long term....then i have a crystal clear record....

besides the recent 1 yr accident
  9. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    I'm amazed they're declining to renew your policy after just two claims. I had two claims last year and when my renewal notice came through the premium had only risen about 5% which would probably be cost of living anyway. Before renewing I called another company who beat their renewal quote by a massive 45% so I went with them. A month after I cancelled my insurance with them my original insurer wrote to say they want my business back and promise to beat next years renewal from their rival by 10%.

I can't believe you won't get another company to cover you but you obviously are going to have to pay the full premium this year at least next year might be time to shop around again.
  10. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    heres a tip
    dont go with island / atlas insurance
    weak company, will never stand up for you

and just drop you like a hot potato after 1 or 2 claims

i wonder if i can go BBB and file an complaint against them?
  11. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    Yes, an auto insurance company can drop you. My wife got into some trouble also. We were already AAA members. She was able to obtain AAA auto insurance via Commerce Insurance Company. They have provided good service.
  12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    First off I assume the accident was determined to be your fault. I could see your point if you were blameless in both incidents. But if you totalled your own car (and especially if your insurance had to pay out damages to another party) then you're unfortunately going to have to wear that.

Second, read the fine print on your contract: there will be clauses how they can re-rate you and thayt they have no obligation to reinsure you.

You shouldn't ought to be thinking about lawyers and complaining to the BBB if the company is abiding by the terms of their contract with you.

If you make a stink, just remember that THAT also goes into your record, and you can't stop them from passing the information on to another insurance company.
  13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Ugh, I'm sorry that you have to go through that. Sounds like a royal PITA. :(

While I agree that they have a right to do this, here is a suggestion that you might consider: cost out switching not only yourself but also the rest of your family to another provider. Get together with them and call or visit a rep for another provider, and make it clear that you're interested in moving the whole family over.

Then visit your agent and tell them, that because of the way this matter was handled -- without even a personal phone call after 13 years -- that you don't feel a high level of comfort with them as a family, at the moment. That you really enjoyed the service up until this point, and that you want to stay with them, and that you trust your agent as a person, but that you expect more than this. Ask them politely, what they think would be a better outcome, for your whole family to drop their policies with them, or for them to find a way to make an exception to what the computer told them to do (because you were doubtless dropped by the actions of some actuarial program somewhere, spitting out letters in some dark room in a corporate building).

It is entirely likely that your agent didn't make this call, and maybe doesn't even approve of it. She/he stands to lose a lot of commission on this. You have to be friendly, but at the same time, ready to actually make a switch.

It's just a suggestion. You'll probably end up with a different carrier, sadly. But at least that way, you gave your agent a fair chance, and they made their own choice, and you can feel better about whatever you end up doing.
  14. Jdm_rsx thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 26, 2004
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    if u read my first post
    u would see that
    first incident was my fault, insurance only paid out MY CAR
    2nd incident someone broke into my car, am i still consider at fault?

so i dont know

well see what happens to tuesday

thx for for the tip (person above me)
  15. Uma888 macrumors 6502

Jan 10, 2005
    Birmingham, United Kingdom
    the more risk you are at/in, the insurance company wont insure you, because they will loose money from you, thats why they dont want you.

insurance companies want careful drivers, people who live in fortresses, people will never get robbed or be in an accident, that way they can rinse all the money from them that they can :eek: