Smaller iPad Costing "Significantly Less" Than $499 Coming This Fall, According to NYT

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 15, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The New York Times has added to the concerto of reports hinting at the arrival of an iPad with a 7.85" screen this fall. Two weeks ago, Bloomberg offered a similar report, also citing anonymous sources. iMore reported something similar back in May.

[​IMG]
    Mockup of 7.85-inch iPad next to an iPad 2 (courtesy of CiccareseDesign)
    Amazon has seen some amount of success with its 7" Kindle Fire, while Google recently launched its Nexus 7 tablet. A so-called iPad Mini, priced aggressively by Apple, could prevent other companies from flanking Apple with cheaper tablets equipped with a smaller screen.

In October of 2011, Tim Cook said on an earnings call that he was "very confident about our ability to compete and extremely confident in our product pipeline."

Article Link: Smaller iPad Costing "Significantly Less" Than $499 Coming This Fall, According to NYT

2. macrumors regular

Can't wait! Looking for an ereader that is small and doesn't feel archaic.

3. macrumors 68020

Another day, another iPad mini rumor.

4. macrumors regular

I'll take one of those thank you. Not been able to justify a full size one because my laptop is always with me but cheap is good:)

5. macrumors 68020

Mr. Gates

--Redmond --------- ----------------Washington---
    Gee, I thought it would be more ........:rolleyes:

Gimmie color e-Ink or no thanks

6. macrumors 6502a

Klae17

Killer.

I look forward to the end of Kindle and the Nexus. :p

7. macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Oh god, not that mock up picture again.....

8. macrumors regular

At $200 I'm sold no questions. Most likely will be 16gb $300, and if so I need more information.

9. macrumors member

I would use an iPad Mini more than I think I would a regularly sized one. I would think that typing would be much easier/ similar to the iPhone thumb typing style, and several games already available could really take advantage of this. A never-ending rumor, I know, but here's to hoping it's true this time. :rolleyes:

10. macrumors newbie

I still like the idea that the 'iPad mini' is in fact going to be the next generation iPod Touch. There's not really any reason to keep the screen size of the Touch locked in, especially if the iPhone's screen size is changing.

11. macrumors 68020

iapplelove

At this point give me one good reason why apple shouldn't make a "mini" iPad?

12. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

a smaller iPad and cheaper is also something I would give to my son. with some parental control he could start learning email and use facetime with family. Of course one for Papa, too.:D

13. macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The main things I want a tablet for are reading Google Reader and browsing the web. Nexus 7 does both of these just as well as iPad, but it's £159 instead of £399.

I opted for Nexus 7. I think a lot of others will be doing the same when they realise just how good value it is.

14. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

There's really no reason not to do this. Can't wait to see it

15. macrumors 65816

I like my 9.7" iPad, but I know something a bit smaller would suit some people better. It should work well at 1024x768 resolution. I would like to see it, even though I won't be a customer myself.

16. macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

I love Sunday posts. :apple:

17. macrumors 65816

Why do I keep gettingthe feeling that these are controlled leaks?

18. macrumors 65816

One thing I like about the current iPad is that i can type at pretty high speed in landscape mode... Of course it's different when you're holding it in the air vs. when there's a surface or your lap to put it on.

19. macrumors newbie

Somehow all these articles forget that apple can't release anything in the 6.5 - 8.5" range thanks to the millions they pushed into lawyers the past 2 years to piss of the galaxy tab and get it banned by proofing that it 'was like an ipad' visually cause samsung owns the 6.5 - 8.5" range of that design.

should they release such a thing, then samsung basically has an autoban at hand unless the design differs significantly from past ipads and hell will freeze before apple is going to break with their own design.
    in this case it wouldn't be significantly cheaper cause it would cost apple a 2-3 figure million USD amount due to their arrogance and anticompetitive competition fighting patterns in the past

20. macrumors member

An iPad mini will make a great Xmas present for the girlfriend but I seriously doubt I'd need one or even buying one to fall between my iPhone 4S and iPad 2.

21. TSE
    macrumors 68030

TSE

Already ordered a Nexus 7.

With Apple iOS products, you are really just buying for the superior ecosystem nowadays, unless you absolutely need a Retina display. Good for some people, not necessary for others.

22. macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

Yup it also has a much higher dpi than the rumored ipad mini. Around 216, which in my opinion is the best compromise between battery life and display quality. The ipad 3's 260dpi require them to use a gigantic battery. And the ipad 2's 130 was far too low.

23. macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    iPad mini.....like a gateway drug to a full sized iPad. :cool:

24. macrumors regular

This is so brilliant it is probably true

25. macrumors 65816

2-3 million USD? I guess divided over the volume of iPad minis produced that might raise the price by a few cents for each one. Sounds like it'd be worth it ;)