Smaller MacBook one day...?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Familytunes, Oct 17, 2006.

1. Familytunes macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

everytime I see my old 12" PB (I sold it to a friend) I ask myself how I could sell it, as the MacBook, as eveybody knows, is so much bigger and heavier. Sometimes I even think of going back to PowerPC...Are the currently any rumors of Apple bringing something smaller than the 13" MacBook? I know so many people that are asking for something like this and I would the first to buy such a thing! Please, tell me it's coming for Xmas and you'll save my day :)

Thanks & Cheerio
    Hannes

2. joanna94 macrumors newbie

I certainly think a smaller version of the MB pro would be great.

3. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

And I just bought a 12"PB because of its size and power!

4. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

A MacBook mini, or something like that would certainly be nice. I've heard a couple of times now from people who wanted to buy a new laptop that Macs are not really an option, because there is no really small one.

5. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Currys.digital is still selling the 12PB's brand new in Swansea.

6. eyemacg5 macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

How about a 8" MacBook Mini? sound alright at first but 8" is pretty small, or a apple pda would be good that actually uses full osx, has a usb superdrive etc I'd buy one :)

-jake

7. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

certainly the MacBook is small. there are smaller ones out there, but to rule out the MB because it is 13.3 instead of 12 inches is a bit ridiculous.

i really want to see a 12" MBP but i don't think Apple is going to do it. the MB seems to have replaced that model. i like the Pro models better - the design, keyboard backlighting, and integrated graphics have spoiled me. that's not to say i don't think the MB is a nice machine, i think the MBP is a better fit for me and i've certainly enjoyed using mine. still woulda been nice to get a 12" though.

8. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Possibly but no ne knows until it is unveiled. It is Apple that we are talking about here.

9. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I didn't rule out the Macbook because of it's size, I just prefer the MBP look and matte screen.

Actually, if Apple had offered a matte option for the MB, I might've bought a black one.

But instead, I bought a 12" PB. Either way, Apple still got my money. :rolleyes:

I too hope for a 11/12/13" MBP. Maybe January?

10. SRSound macrumors 6502

11. 2ndPath macrumors 6502

12" is not that much less than 13.3, but it still is 10% difference. Then there are also pc laptops which are smaller than 12". What might be even more important is that there are some which are thinner and significantly lighter.

12. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

13. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

For a start, who is the target audience? The geeks or the Net Savvy? Are there enough of them to justify a niche product offering like this?

14. jTreu macrumors 6502

15. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

16. SRSound macrumors 6502

no no no NO. My point is that Apple should take the CONCEPT of the device and put it into action. I think we can all agree there is a market for an ultra-portable computer (cross between a PDA and a small laptop - or essentially a PDA w/ QWERTY and a useable screen). I agree the Sony is ugly, AND it feels awful (tried it out at the Sony store) BUT That's where apple's impeccable design team comes into play....

17. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

The impeccable design team which helped the Cube become the best selling desktop product for the Mac.:rolleyes:

I don't think you paid attention to my original point. You just lumped it with the other comments you have blindly disagreed with. There is a market there but its tiny, its niche like I said before. Who is the target audience? You didn't even answer the question, you kept on trying to tell me how Apple can succeed where others fail.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Agreed, and this is coming from a ex 12" PowerBook owner. The MB is only a bit bigger than the 12" PB. This means the MB is slightly longer, very slightly wider, but is thinner than the PB. When the 13" MB is in use, it's shorter than the 12" PB making it easier to use on airplanes. It's length makes it easier for me to put on my lap as well, since the length of the PB was very small and always felt like it was going to fall between my legs if I were to sit naturally. I had to keep my legs slightly closer together to accomodate my 12" PB. I'm 176 cm/5'10"

And why bother going to 12"? If they're going to make a small computer, make it a substantial and worthwhile difference and make a laptop with 10.x" inch screen, or 8.9" screen like the Flybook. You want a smaller notebook and are hoping Apple makes a 12" laptop that's like 1-2 cm smaller on each side? That's the big complaint?! :p

If you want Apple to make the effort and design something smaller, I would seriously hope that you're asking for something that's actually worth making.

19. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

I on the other hand actually want the opposite. I want either a larger MB @ 14" or a smaller MBP @ 14". Who is with me?!

20. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

i like the macbook sized where it is right now. i think what apple should do is take the black macbook and put dedicated graphics card in it. then 1. it would justify the price increase and 2. it would shut up all of the people running their lips about no dedicated gpu.

and yes, an ultra portable would be nice. tho i'd only want one real bad, i don't think i'd ever need one.

21. SRSound macrumors 6502

You dont have to be a nay-sayer ;) Who is to say there is a small market simply because other's failed to appeal? There was a small market for MP3 players until Apple made one that had mass appeal. I, for one, think an ultra-portable machine would be the perfect solution for all those torn between other devices

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What would I do with a small machine? It would never appeal to me because it doesn't fill a personal need or hole in the way I do things, nor would it improve anything I do. I think it would make it harder to do things, actually.

If I have enough money to start buying novelty computers, then fine. I doubt that would happen, though. The most computers I'll ever own at one time is probably 2 for myself, and 1 would be a portable laptop, kind of like my 13" MacBook. ;)

And if you're so concerned about the weight of the MB, go to the gym and lift some weights, you poof. That 0.5 kg or whatever weight difference between the 12" PB and the MacBook shouldn't make that much of a difference.

23. SRSound macrumors 6502

What's with the hostility? Is it THAT unreasonable to say that there are people in this world (obviously not including you) who would like a PDA that functions like a laptop and has additional features? Just because YOU don't need or want one doesnt mean other people don't.

24. Anawrahta macrumors member

I work at a reseller and I get about 2-3 people a day asking for something smaller than the macbook. I also get about one person a day who won't buy apple because they don't make something small enough, and instead go with a thinkpad or a sony T or S.

There is a market there and it's not niche. There are tons of fashion conscious people out there that want something ultralight and portable to be connected all the time, but the 5 pound macbook is still too big. There are people out there who want a machine that is ultra portable so they can get some work down while away, but still have a desktop at home to do the heavy lifting. There are people who are constantly travelling and don't like having the macbook take up such a significant amount of weight in their measly carry-on allowance.

I really hope apple comes out with a subcompact notebook and really expands their notebook line in general, because there is definitely the demand.

25. wako macrumors 65816

Thats what I thinking when I got my MacBook. I sure do missing my 12'' PowerBook. That thing was definitely quite the system. Nice and small. Im on the same boat. If they come out with a new lighter and smaller notebook, Ill be one of the first to jump on it too :)

Although I do think a nice brighter and bigger screen is a good compensation for the size and weight:)