Smart Car Tipping

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by bradl, Apr 8, 2014.

1. macrumors 68040

bradl

(NOTE: Mods, this has potential to fall into PRSI. If it does, feel free to move it there.)

I admit that when I first heard this, I thought it was hilarious as it reminded me of of Lightning McQueen and Mater in a field of tractors. Then I started to read why they are doing it, and can understand why it's a growing trend in the hipster area.

Article graciously stolen from Slashdot:

Some pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

More pictures are here. The main cause of this are evictions under the Ellis Act, which provides a legal way for some landlords who want to get out of the business without selling to another landlord. This allows them to evict tenants so they can walk themselves.

Has gentrification taken off in the areas you are in? If so, how are people handling it?

BL.

2. macrumors 68020

Kissaragi

Hope they find the people that are doing it and prosecute them!

3. macrumors 68040

I hate when idiots vandalize or destroy people's property, but I have to admit those pictures are hilarious. LOL

4. macrumors 68020

carjakester

That is hilarious. But that really sucks for the owners, perhaps there will be something to prevent it from tipping, maybe an alarm if it starts to get lifted or some sort of.. Dare i say, kickstand.

5. macrumors 68030

Mr. McMac

Not funny at all. How would you feel if that was your car?

6. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

Some people will use any excuse to try and justify bad behavior. Chances are these cars don't even belong to the people who are responsible for the Ellis Act or the landlords that use it.

Agreed.

Agreed.

7. macrumors 603

mrkramer

I don't really see how this is funny, even if it wasn't causing damage it still wouldn't be funny.

8. macrumors demi-god

firedept

No humour in taking a car and damaging it. Bet insurance companies and police do not see it as funny either. Make the perpetrators pay for the damage. Might make them see the other side of the coin. I own a Mini and certainly would not want to find my car like this.

9. macrumors 68020

Kissaragi

I imagine the people finding this "hilarious" would be less amused by someone running keys down the side of their cars.

10. macrumors 68020

carjakester

i just think it looks funny, as if the car just got blown over by the wind.

11. macrumors 601

Don't panic

just vandalism pure and simple.
    there is no justification for it.

12. thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

This.

Note that I never said that I condoned or supported this; in fact, I don't. Just that the fact that 2 - 4 people actually had the guts to not only tip a car over, but put it in rather prone positions.

Note that I also said that I could understand their reasoning behind doing it, which is the problem of gentrification and Ellis Act evictions. Is it justified? no. It is still vandalism. what is happening to them sucks, and I get that. I empathize with the gentrification problem they are having, but not with their response to it. the owners of those cars have have no involvement in the issue.

All I basically said was that it looked funny, just like how the tractor tipping scene in Cars looked funny.

BL.

13. macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

It's debatable whether or not gentrification is a "problem" or not, but either way, it's not an excuse to commit blatant acts of vandalism.

14. thread starter macrumors 68040

bradl

Ahem:

Underlined for emphasis. I see and understand the problem; their response to it isn't right. I get that, and have stated as such..

BL.

15. macrumors 68020

localoid

Is there any evidence that the SF car tipping incidents were a reaction to the so called " gentrification problem" or is that theory based entirely on speculation?

It's not exactly a "new" trend... Back in 2009, vandals were tossing smart cars in canals in Amsterdam.

16. Kissaragi, Apr 9, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2014

macrumors 68020

Kissaragi

Seems a tenuous link at best that they are related. Its just vandals doing what they do best.

17. macrumors 68040

tech4all

While wrong, they are a little funny. hehe

Not like anyone was hurt...:rolleyes:

18. macrumors G3

Apple fanboy

Not my thing. Car vandalism pushes every bodies car insurance premium up.

19. macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    Maybe not physically injured, but certainly economically.

I don't find anything amusing about the actions of thugs.

20. macrumors G5

gnasher729

The link is that some idiot does something, and then more idiots go and copy it.

21. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I would rather have seen the "planking" variant of Smart Car tipping.

Where they actually move the Smart Cars to unusual/dangerous places and take pictures.

Of course you do have to wonder, how many Smart Cars will fit in the deans' office. :confused:

22. macrumors G5

yg17

I want to laugh because I have a strong hatred of Smart cars, but I wouldn't be laughing if someone did it to my car, so.....

23. macrumors 601

The Doctor11

Well thats stupid...

24. macrumors 65816

Its a truism, but probably 90% of criminal acts are prompted by opportunity. And the Smart Car certainly meets the criteria.

Simply put, with its light weight (approx. 1800 lbs), narrow track and short wheelbase; and relatively high center of gravity - the Smart is the go-to vehicle for the opportunistic tipper. A Bentley Continental is a far more egregious example of gentrification and nouveau riche excess - but its all but impossible to flip over by hand.

25. macrumors 603

No, of course no one was hurt. There were no workers who lost a day's pay dealing with a vandalized car. There were no medical appointments missed. No one missed a visit to aging parents or their sick kids in the hospital. No one lost $hundreds because of the insurance deductible, plus the extra expense of getting around without a car while theirs is fixed. Absolutley... no harm was done. Sigh.