Smart cover, another angle (middle position).

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by sweteg, Mar 31, 2011.

1. sweteg, Mar 31, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2011

macrumors member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I couldn't find another thread on the smart cover where someone covered this angle. Thought I would share for those who haven't discovered this yet. It's quite handy when I put it on my desk when I'm at the computer, etc. You can adjust the part keeping it angled up to how you like and it should still be stable when you try to push the top part of the screen.

2. macrumors member

Not bad....... thanks...

3. macrumors 603

appleguy123

My friend was using my iPad today and discovered this exact angle. When I saw it, I couldn't believe that I didn't figure it out.

4. macrumors member

Works great. I never even thought to try that. Appreciate the tip

5. macrumors member

Nice, thanks!

6. macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Agreed. I love that angle when sitting on the couch with iPad in lap.

7. macrumors regular

bibbz

I saw this in I believe the wallpaper thread a little bit ago. Anyways, great position.

And as a bonus, on your desk your iPad isn't in direct contact with a hard surface.

8. macrumors G3

Night Spring

Huh? How are you getting it to stick? I tried this with my smart cover, and it doesn't stick to the iPad as in the OP.

9. macrumors 6502

Thanks. I just tried it and it's a really good angle for the couch!

10. macrumors 6502

KittyKatta

Neat, but I'm having much more success with my treated leather cover than the vinyl. The vinyls seems to slip too easily.

11. macrumors 6502

Very cool! :cool:

12. macrumors 6502a

I'm returning the 'Smart Cover' for a proper case with a real stand. What an overpriced piece of junk!

The stand is so damn flimsy the slightest extra pressure causes my iPad to hit the surface flat and, in addition, I've had the damn thing pop off completely on a few occasions. It's awkward and very unstable.

13. macrumors 603

roland.g

I was actually going to start a thread if I couldn't find one discussing that there was one area that the smart cover failed vs the original Apple case. And that is sitting on a couch or something with your leg crossed and the iPad in your lap. The first case allowed you to prop it at a nice angle. If you fold the cover into a triangle, the iPad doesn't hold position because the hinge allows it to slouch. With your idea, I can put the hinge against my lap and control the angle of lean.

Thanks.

14. thread starter macrumors member

It should stay as long as you don't go pass a 85-90 degree angle. I tested it a bunch of times and it was fine.

15. macrumors 603

roland.g

Mine sticks. But it may be the skin I have on it give the cover enough resistance.

16. macrumors regular

This is such a great angle for viewing. I was about to make a thread too until this came out of the search. Works great unlike the very high up angle.

17. macrumors regular

Same here, tried it but it just slips and goes to a flat position.

18. macrumors regular

Try changing the angle a little bit until it holds still. It is VERY sturdy for me once setup propery.

19. macrumors 6502

benjayman2

Yah there is a point where you can apply a lot of pressure and it will not budge. It should take a few seconds of trial and error. By far the most versatile position.

20. macrumors regular

I took a photo of the position at another angle. I think this is shot makes it easier to see. And it works even on the bed or whatever.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Attached Files:

21. macrumors G3

Night Spring

How is the flap sticking to the back of the iPad? Mine doesn't stick like that, it just flops down, then slides down flat when any pressure is applied.

22. macrumors 68020

BergerFan

This works a treat, if you place the edge of the cover just above the centre line of the camera and home button.

Note to self: it helps if the Cover is attached by the magnets on the bottom side. :eek:

23. macrumors member

Same for me. I have a black leather smart cover FWIW.

24. macrumors 6502a

It doesn't need to stick to the back (the small flap). Just note where the "bend" or angle touches the back of the iPad in the photos, it is about just in line with the "home" button. If you put the bend there even if the flap on the inside hangs down it will support a ton of pressure before collapsing. A very nice way to type or even view the iPad on the table, much better than the normal typing position.

25. macrumors 65816

When I go to bed at night, I take my iPad, and I fold the smart cover up and use it to sort of prop the iPad up on my stomach for an almost straight up viewing angle on the Ipad screen. I was hoping maybe this method would be better for me, and more stable. But I can't imagine that cover holding it's position on a moving thing like my stomach as I breath in and out. My current method isn't great either, but this would be more of a PITA I'm pretty certain.