Smart Cover leaves marks on screen?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by ethics101, Apr 20, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

Friend of mine was lucky enough to get an iPad near launch. Today I saw it again and there were marks from the cover folds on the screen. Is this normal? Fatal flaw for my uses.

2. macrumors 68020

Gix1k

Doesn't do that on my screen. They hardly touch the screen, honestly.

3. macrumors 6502

Do u mean leaves vertical marks (3 of them). If yes this has been discussed quite a bit already.

4. macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

Yup, I get the 3 vertical marks on mine

5. macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

The smart cover was a "smart" move from Apple. Ooooh! It cleans the screen and protects it! Yep, worst $40 I've spent in a while, unless you count beer, but I like beer.

6. macrumors 68040

ntrigue

It doesn't remotely 'clean' the screen. It leaves vertical lines.

7. macrumors 604

ZBoater

I had the leather $70 one in my hand and couldn't pull the trigger. Its insane!

8. macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

I'm glad you didn't. $70 is even MORE beer. This cover is just like the fist apple iPad case...garbage and gimmicky.

9. macrumors 604

mcdj

It leaves 3 "lines" of oil. There are negative spaces on the folds, where the cover doesn't touch the screen, so the oil remains there. Hardly fatal, hardly a flaw. They wipe right off. ANY screen cover that has folds will leave similar marks.

10. macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

11. macrumors 6502a

I bought the 70 dollar one. Not regretting it a lot, but yes, I do have those lines. But, you can detach your smartcover and wipe the screen with fabric side. Works great.

12. macrumors newbie

Actually the smart cover does a pretty good job keeping the iPad screen free of dust and dirt. As far as the 3 lines go it is obvious that is where the folds are located on the cover and does not make contact with the screen to remove the oils left behind by your fingers. It is noticeable because the cover removes these oils where it makes contact with the screen. There is a real easy solution, just keep the cover on the screen and rub it back a forth a few times and when you open it the screen is clean.

Now I must say I was not satisfied with the smart cover because of the lack of protection to the backside of the iPad so I recently bought another cover that I really like but I can tell you the smart cover does help keep the screen clean. With my new cover I have to keep a microfiber cloth handy to clean the finger prints and remove the dust. I did not have to do that with the smart cover.

13. macrumors 68020

macingman

I have the marks too, I just use a lint free cloth to wipe them of.

14. macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

I see what you guys are saying but Jobs didn't say,"Oh, look at the Smart Cover. It keeps your screen clean except for three oily lines." or "turn it into a triangle and then wipe off the smudges".

You all have great solutions for using the smart cover or other means to ensure the cleanliness of your iPads, but that wasn't how it was presented. For $40, I expect more than what the final product offers.

As a matter of fact, I do use the "smart cover" to hold my iPad in landscape mode while on my desk, but this
    http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=8LyvTbz_I4zUtQPSnYmSAw&ved=0CG0Q8wIwAQ#

can do the same thing.

15. macrumors 604

mcdj

Nor did he say "Oh, look at the iPad. It's a finger print magnet." This is not how it was presented, but you're not complaining, for $400+.

16. macrumors regular

I'd be less bothered about the three vertical lines if they'd given us a cleaning cloth in the box!! My iMac came with one why not my iPad?? The cost of doing so would have been negligible I'd imagine!!

17. macrumors G3

The smart cover IS a cleaning cloth.

18. macrumors newbie

Smart cover......not so smart....as are those who bought it lol......Jobs got you!!!

19. macrumors regular

I'm I the only one that dose this with my smart cover I roll it back take it off the iPad. And clean my screen with it best screen cleaner there is it comes out perfect

20. macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Some of you really believed the smart cover would magically wipe your screen clean? how? It sits down on top of the screen, there is no rubbing motion there at all..

The cover does what it's supposed to, it protects the screen when not in use.

21. macrumors G3

I consider it to be smart enough. As with anything, if it meets your needs then buy it. I did and I like it. It covers the screen, acts as a stand in both directions, acts as a screen wipe, makes it very easy to hold in portrait mode and reduces hand fatigue while doing so, and doesn't look like some janky folio case like the original one.

I didn't believe it would magically do anything. It does exactly what I thought it would, including being a microfiber cloth I always have with me.

22. macrumors regular

I take mine off and rub the screen with it when it's folded in the. Triangle I seen it on a podcast iPad today show works great

23. macrumors regular

What did you get instead? I'm not a big fan of the smart cover for the same reason.

24. macrumors 65816

treyjustice

no not yet at least. I have a full body invisibleshield as well as a smart cover. It is alright I guess but should of bee 29 instaed of 39

25. macrumors member

JUST PUT A SCREEN PROTECTOR ON IT, THATS WHAT I DO TO PREVENT THE LINES, DOESNT LEAVE ANY LINES DONT KNOW WHY BUT IT DOESNT. GET THE SCREEN PROTECTORS FROM WWW.HANDHELDITEMS.COM THEY'RE PRETTY CHEAP $5.99 USE THE COUPON CODE " ipad2clearscreenp " TAKES OFF $3.00 CANT GET BETTER THAN THAT AND THEY WORK GOOD REAL GOOD JUST GOTTA HAVE THE PATIENTS TO PUT THEM ON BUT WELL WORTH IT