Smart Cover not locking/unlocking New iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Rakan, Mar 16, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Well first off, it's really not the "smart cover" from apple but its a case from invellop which uses identical technology (i.e magnets). I am on iOS 5.1 and i do not see a general setting in which i can turn the iPad cover on/off. It doesn't seem to be responding to me closing the cover or opening it. Any suggestions?

2. macrumors 6502

Same here. Weird that the setting is gone.

3. macrumors 6502

I think the setting only shows up after using a smart cover. Since the 3rd party covers do not work the setting isn't activated yet.

4. macrumors 603

See the other threads, Apple apparently moved the sensor.

Official smart covers work since there are several magnets, some third party ones may not if they don't have all the same magnets as Apple used.

@thelead is correct, setting appears only after using a smart cover. That's how it worked on the ipad2 also.

5. macrumors newbie

My one works fine, I have an aftermarket case for my iPad, with the magnetic case. Have you tried going in to the settings for the magnet sleep mode option?

6. macrumors 601

brand

It is not an issue with your iPad but an issue with your fake smart cover.

7. macrumors 6502

I read it is not the placement but the polarity of some magnets placed with low end cases.
    I also read that Apple will replace your smart cover for free if it fails,

8. macrumors 65816

Mark Booth

Yes, it's all about polarity, not placement. While there are more than 20 magnets contained in an Apple Smart Cover, only one of them is responsible for triggering the sleep/wake feature. Starting with the iPad 3, polarity matters.

Click the link in my signature for more details, including an HD video demonstration of the situation.

Mark