Smart folders not so smart?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by juicedus, Nov 3, 2005.

1. juicedus macrumors member

I'm trying to make a smart folder with pictures of certain friends. I want it to include all the pictures of my friends X, all the pictures of my friend Y, and all the pictures of my friend Z. Every time I try to do this it just puts the pictures that include all of them in one picture. I know the smart playlists and such let you check a box that says include any, some, etc. Does anyone know how to have the smart folders do it. Maybe I'm just dumb.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Is this in iPhoto or Finder? In iPhoto you just select Any from the Matched drop down list at the top of the list of parameters. I assume it's the same in Finder but I'm not near a Mac to check. :)

3. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

You're right; it is half-baked

You can't do it with the GUI. Apparently you can do it by typing in some logical expression, but by this time my smart folder hopes had been crushed and I gave up. Try searching the web - there are some tips out there.

I told Apple straight away that this was daft. I've often wanted to search for one thing or another.

Also, I wanted to put smart folders into the dock but right clicking them does not show their contents.

And where are all the plug-ins for apps like InDesign? (yes I've subscribed to the Apple spotlight site)

4. juicedus thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help guys. I am trying to do this in Finder. I thought I was going crazy when I couldn't find the option. I just figured they would have made a more intuitive way for the average user.

EDIT: Does anyone know the command for the Spotlight comment expression. I.E. kMDISpolightComment doesn't work

5. juicedus thread starter macrumors member

6. juicedus thread starter macrumors member

Is anyone able to use their smart folders as the folder for the desktop background?

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I can use photos in an album in iPhoto as the desktop background, and since I can make smart albums in iPhoto, so I'm guessing "yes."

8. juicedus thread starter macrumors member

I'm trying to do it from the Finder and its not working for me. I don't use iPhoto and don't really want to use it.