Smart folders question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Eric_Z, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Eric_Z macrumors regular

Just a short silly to those with a Tiger installation out there.

With the ordinary folders it's possible to drag on down to the dock (right side of the separator) and Ctrl click it to get a list of what's in the folder in question. I assume/hope that this is allso possible with smart folders?

2. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Sadly, it doesn't work the same way. The regular options for all folders in the Dock appear, but there isn't a list of items in the smart folder, because there isn't anything actually in the smart folder. It's actually kind of counter-intuitive, because it's a folder, yet you can't store anything in it, but there's stuff in it!
    -Chase

3. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Off-topic entirely, but I'm dying for an answer on this one and my own topic didn't get any replies, and since someone with Tiger's checked this one out, there's a ray of hope to an answer:
    Can Spotlight search iPhoto keywords? And does it group iTunes and iPhoto results seperate or as "Music" and "Pictures"? *Cough*screenshot*cough*

4. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Well, yes, but no. For the iPhoto keywords, it'll bring up a folder with the keyword you're looking for. All that folder contains are aliases to the pictures that are labeled with that keyword (it brings up the folder that's in Albums in your iPhoto Library folder).

As for iTunes and iPhoto results, it doesn't really separate them, but it does. Music is listed under a music header, while pictures are listed under a Images header. Some example headers (for the "Kind" group) include Applescript, Applications, Chats, Contacts, Documents, Folders, HTML, Images, Mail Messges, Movies, Music, News Articles, PDF Documents, Presentations, Source Code, and System Preferences. I'll be in Tiger for a few hours, so if you have any more questions, I'll try to answer them.
    -Chase

5. Eric_Z thread starter macrumors regular

Bleh... :(

I was hoping that I could create two folders (with a little " hackin' " if neccesary). One that'd show the 10 - 20 most used apps that isn't in the left separator side of the dock and one that'd show the 10 most recently installed apps. Then I'd try build and Apple script so that I wouldn't have to Ctrl click it to get to the menu.

*Sigh* , it was a good idea atleast IMO.