Smart Folders - Who's Using Them?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mms, May 18, 2005.

1. mms macrumors 6502a

Just like the Dashboard thread in this same section, I was wondering about how much people are using Smart Folders in Tiger. I had expected it to be a cool feature when I first heard of it, but now that I have it it seems to me that it works for me in iTunes but that I don't find much of a use for it now that it's integrated with Spotlight in the Finder. While it's a neat concept, it just doesn't seem to become a natural part of my workflow.

So who out there uses smart folders on a regular basis? And if so, what are you using them for? Any interesting, novel ideas?

2. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

I just started using them, mainly for syncing between Macs. (Yeah, I know iDisk can sync, but it sucks something fierce.)

Here's how I currently use Smart Folders:

1. One smart folder tracks changes in key folders, and I link the smart folder to a burn folder so I can back-up in one click.

Awkward to set-up, but I am pretty pleased with it, and at least it works and doesn't spin my fan and HD non-stop like iDisk.

2. A "recent" folder. It's basically files I have used i the past couple of days. Nice and easy way to find files I am working on.

3. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

This is one of those features that I don't have a need for at the moment, but know I will use in the future. It's great for big projects, I'm just not immersed in one at present.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i know that if i had tiger i would be using them..... but i dont so i guess i have to wait, oh well, they actually will be one of the main reasons for me to upgrade

5. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I prefer them more than the interactive search only because you can specify multiple criteria to find something or focus on what you want. The regular search as been a disappointment because I can't just search for applications only for example.

The spotlight interactive search needs more power user controls. At least a toggle to turn them on. Smart folders are sometimes only used once for a search I wanted that minute and then disregarded.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'm using them to filter specific files from my collection. For example, I can immediately see all of my MIDIs that are remixes by opening the appropriate smart folder.

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I know they're there, but haven't found any use for them, yet...

8. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Wrong, Sorry!
    you can type in a bunch of things:
    you can also do kind:app, and there are a lot more bits like this.

try typing "kind:app photo" or summit!

9. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I haven't made one yet ... I don't have a use for them and I don't have time to mess with it. I like just saving things where I know where they are and not having to mess with it. I don't use spotlight either. I have a feeling I'll start using them once I get into digital photography. That won't be until next year though ...

10. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Ok. Now I know how to use seach. It is 10 times more useful now. Thanks.

11. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Go to www.apple.com and you'll see a box called "Spotlight tips" at the bottom. a lot is there! - i know apple made it difficult and all! :p

12. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

With finals I haven't been able to get around to that aspect of Tiger yet. Hope to soon though once I'm back home again...