Smart folders

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Camille, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Camille macrumors regular

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

None. I really should get into the habit though. They seem useful. I use a lot of Smart Playlists and Smart Albums in iTunes and iPhoto. :)

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yeah, same here... For whatever reason, I use Spotlight extensively, but I have not gotten in any kind of habit of smart folders.

It'd be neat if you could somehow see some sort of frequency list of spotlight terms you personally used, to help you build smart folders. Or perhaps even if a feature enabled a pop-up (if you wanted it) that said, "Hey, you've executed this search term five times already. Do you want to make a smart folder based on it?"

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sounds far too MicroSoftesque™ though. "Hey, you just connected to a wireless network. You put in the right keyword, but I'm still bubbling up and telling you what's happening all the same." :D

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have one for all my word documents. makes it easy to know where they all are incase i need to find one and dont know the name of it and all that. along with when a spotlight search fails.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hmmm, true. You know the weird thing...on my Mac, I use the paper-clip guy. I *HATED* the paper clip guy the whole time I used Windows, but on my Mac, it seems to fit with everything else just fine. Well, erm, I think I changed it to a dog. And I'm not sure what the point of this story is. I think it's that not everything Microsoft does is bad all the time...just that when it's all conglomerated, it's awful. :eek:

But the key for such a feature would be that you should be able to turn such features off.... Even just a window that you could call up that would frequency sort your past searches or show you popular searches or something like that would be nice.

It *should* not be like the XP system for wireless networks. Please, God, no. *shudders* :eek:

7. ortuno2k macrumors 6502a

I use Smart Folders in my Documents folder. I regularly throw most documents in the Documents folder, and use Smart Folders to sort Doc, Excel, PDF files.
    I also do to group the music I've bought from iTunes to back it up easily in case I have a scattered file anywhere.

8. Project macrumors 68020

I have a single smart folder that collects all of my music on my HD. I then compare it to the number of tracks in iTunes.

The problem is, there is no way of syncing the two :(

Smart folders do seem like they could be a good idea, however, ive not found them to be anywhere near as useful as smart playlists.