Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmufellow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
I was wondering if there was a way that I could set my smart playlists so that it would automatically index the artists without me having to go through each artist to make a playlist for it. thanks

NicP

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2005
jmufellow said:
I was wondering if there was a way that I could set my smart playlists so that it would automatically index the artists without me having to go through each artist to make a playlist for it. thanks

whats wrong with browsing by artist?

jmufellow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
nothing, but there are quite a few artists that I would like playlists for. It would save time if I could index all of them automatically and then delete the ones I don't want

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
Did anyone ever find a way to do this?

Did anyone ever find an answer to this? I am also looking for a way to auto-index my library and create SmartPlaylists for each artist -- possibly even breaking it down into folders with each album as a playlist under each artist as a folder.

And while I am sure there probably is a way to do it with AppleScript, I also use iTunes in Windows and would want my playlists in sync between my two systems.

Bedawyn

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2003
Asheville, NC
'Fraid I've no answer for you, but I suspect other folks, like me, are still trying to figure out what you're trying to achieve that can't be done by browsing for artist. Select your library, type the artist name into the search field, bam, you've got a playlist by artist. It's temporary, of course, but I'd think that's a benefit, since it won't be crowding your source list when you're not listening to it. And if you use the browser in the library, it's already broken down into folders for each album.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
Click the Browse button in the top right corner... bam... you have everything you need. It's not a playlist but it'll play like one. Only reason you would need an artist or album playlist would be to burn a CD I would think...

freiheit

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2004
California
Backup (to CDs) and playlists

SilentPanda said:
Click the Browse button in the top right corner... bam... you have everything you need. It's not a playlist but it'll play like one. Only reason you would need an artist or album playlist would be to burn a CD I would think...

That (burning CDs) was one of my reasons. I must admit I don't use iTunes enough (yet) to have become too familiar with the browser. Now that you've both brought it up, I do see it does the other thing I wanted (acting as a playlist by artist and/or by album). As for burning CDs, I guess I can just backup my iTunes library straight to DVD-R's and then both of my issues will be solved. Thank you for the suggestion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.