Smart Playlist ideas

Discussion in 'iPod' started by jnagel, Jun 1, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 21, 2006
    I've been thinking about some additions I'd like to make to my collection of smart playlists lately, and I've run into a wall implementing them.

1) I'd like to be able to use either a smart playlist or applescript to collect my top albums (by playcount); I'm pretty confident that this cannot be done using smart playlists alone, and I have VERY limited applescript experience.

2) Is there anyway to make a playlist like "Top 25 Songs of 2006", by playcount? I know that I can make a smart playlist that will tell me the top rated songs that I played between such and such date, but that just uses the overall playcounts. I want to know how many times I played "Funeral" by Arcade Fire between Jan 1 and Dec 31, 2006. My guess is that iTunes does not track this but I was wondering if there was a way I could implement it for future use.
  2. Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    1) You can use iTunes Statistician to find your top rated albums, and double-clicking any song, artist or album will (open iTunes and) play your selection...

2) Have no idea...
  3. macrumors 603

Jan 31, 2005
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I'm pretty sure iTunes only stores the last time the song was played, so this probably isn't possible.
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 21, 2006
    Yeah that's what I figured; I suppose there is a way I can track that from outside iTunes but I guess its not important enough to be worth it to me.
  5. macrumors member

Aug 23, 2005
    #2 - That is a really cool idea. I would like to see something like this as well. :cool:

You could make a smart playlist that would see what songs you played the most in 2006, but it would be limited to songs added after Jan. 1, 2006.