Smart saved, but models axed

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Apr 6, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Good to see that they're refocusing after the tragically insipid Forfour and Smart Roadster.

So the Fortwo and Forfour remain, but the Smart Roadster and forthcoming Formore get the axe.

I'd like to see them return to the radical design thinking behind the original Smart, not the bland, overdesigned toss of the Forfour and Roadster.

Rinky dink link

2. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I remember thinking that those Smarts looked extremely goofy, but reviews were universally positive...until the bloat set in.

I wonder if they are still going to bring the Fourtwo over here, or if that idea was axed as well?

EDIT: re-read the article, I see that the Fourtwo is still coming. I think it will sell here - they'll likely be going after the Mini/NewBeetle/1 Series crowd. I 'd probably take the Mini, but 60 mpg is no joke!

3. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Never really did find the roadster all that appealing. Ever since I saw an ad in Top Gear for the 2dr Smart I fell in love with it as it made perfect sense to me for City driving like Seattle or Vancouver. Besides it would turn heads and I imagined that they could price it under 10k for those with not a lot of money.

I remember seeing a video of some U.S. Congress person claiming that the Smart was way to dangerous (collision wise) to be sold in the States. And instead advocated bigger vehicles (which of course get lousy gas mileage).

I saw a FourTwo for the first time in-person in Mexico City last year.

4. dvdh macrumors 6502

dvdh

Environment Canada has (atleast) three Smarts Fortwos (they have been available in Canada for just over a year) here in Ottawa (stationed at the Booth street campus) that they have been testing with Bio-diesel. I see them driving around quite a bit (even over the winter) so things must be working out alright with them. Nice to think that you could get 60 miles to a gallon on a fuel thats basically canola oil.