Smart Way to Erase?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by aminadab, Sep 16, 2006.

1. aminadab macrumors regular

Hi, So I have a 100GB HD in my MBP -- most of which is music. I'm planning to move about 25-30GB of music files to an external HD. What's a smart/safe way to remove all of these files? Should I just trash them? Or should I refromat/reinstall? Things have slowed down a bit on my machine, but not too much. I'm wondering if having all of my files spread out on my HD is causing this. Does reformating realign files after so much free space is opened up? Or, should I not worry too much -- my computer is still plenty fast. I just want to make sure there's nothing wrong with just getting rid of so many files. Thanks.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You're thinking like a Windows user. Don't worry about reformatting but always make sure you have at least 8GB of free space on your boot drive. I'd just literally move the music to different drive and leave it at that. :)

Remember that if you move any music files, you'll need to tell iTunes that you have done so because otherwise it won't play your tracks. iTunes 7 now has the ability to keep more than one library. Although not ideal, this might help. You can start up holding OPTION to decide which library to use. Alternatively you can use a system of aliases to keep your music in both locations, assuming you have iTunes set to manage your files. Did that make any sense? :eek:

3. aminadab thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, that made a lot of sense. Thanks so much!