Smartdisk Flashtrax: 80gb of music, movies, and pictures...Worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by t300, Jun 2, 2004.

1. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Smartdisk Flashtrax

Wow, I must say this is a beast of a thing! This is labeled that famous and horrible phrase "iPod Killer" everywhere and I was wondering has anyone ever used, seen, owned one of these? I am currently waiting for a new iPod to replace mine with some similiar capabilities but certainly not all that.

A small 80gb device that plays music, movies, pictures, and works on both Macs and Windows...?

True, on eBay it's around 600 dollars which is outrageous but I suppose if Apple released an 80gb iPod right now we would be lucky if it was $599. So what do you guys think about this little gadget and its (possible) potential?

2. t300 thread starter macrumors 6502a

t300

Did this just totally go by everyone's eyes because of the 60gb announcement this morning?

3. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    it would be nice for when I go out and take alot of photos (instead of using my PB), but it's rather bulky to be an "iPod killer".
    it's lacking Firewire, USB1 on my G4/PB would be intolerably slow.
    It's too new, haven't found any real reviews.
    $699 MSRP is rather high for what it's lacking.

4. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Flashtrax size and weight:
    5.63 in X 3.62 1.26 in (143mm X 92mm X 32mm)
    12 oz (340g)

I'm not sure that would fit too comfortably in your front pocket. It's nearly double the weight and thickness of a 40gb iPod. The great thing about the iPod is that you can stick it in your pocket and forget about it. It never feels like you're lugging a bulky gadget around with you.

If you really need a tiny video player, then sure, this beats the iPod. But it's no iPod killer.

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

These devices aren't exactly new but they've always been positioned toward the professional market. However, with the ability for the iPod to store digital photos with the help of the Belkin Media Reader, there is some overlap.

I don't think consumers would be swayed into buying Flashtrax.