Smarter States Went to Kerry

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Maclarny, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Interesting data on the IQ of states Vs how they voted...

LINK

2. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

If I actually thought IQ testing was meaningful, I might attach meaning to the link provided.

As is, I find it another moderately amusing, yet inconsequential item.

People who voted for Bush had as many reasons for doing so as those who voted for Kerry, and to dismiss them as merely stupid, does neither side any service.

Also, as we have been discussing here-and-there in this forum, there are no "Red" or "Blue" states, so plenty in each state voted for both Candidates.

nevertheless, thanks for the link.

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Seeing as Kerry carried the New England states, those that are the oldest and have the longest established and more prestigious universities in the country, is it a wonder that these State scored better? Just because the average is higher, doesn't mean that the smarter people voted for Kerry. I think that it's really sick that people in this nation would try so hard to claim incompetence of their fellow citizens simply because they disagree.

Furthermore, it has been made a big deal that minorities such as the elderly black communities and Hispanics largely voted for Kerry. These are groups that statistically do poorly on IQ tests regardless of their actually intelligence. It would seem that these two results are polar differences.

4. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

My thoughts exactly. Plus, we've got to remember that the ability to take tests does not make one any more or less proficient in life. I said it before the election, but I'll say it again. For every ignorant old Bush voter there is an ignorant young Kerry voter, neither of which strive in any way to understand their own position, let alone the positions of their opponents.

A lot of the educated people in America voted for Kerry, but it's my conjecture (based on personal observation around campus) that votes tended to break along college lines. For instance, most of my professors in the liberal arts voted for Kerry. However, my business professors were all Bush supporters (dividend taxation policy).

One professor, after over hearing a pro Kerry discussion before an investment analysis class remarked, "Are you guys paying attention to what we're learning?" :)

5. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Bravo! (look to see if the sky is falling?)

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You'll notice on the second list, DC - which isn't on the first - has one of the lower IQs yet it has the highest income.... ;)

D

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

While the republican party is full of it's own problems, the democrats have the image of being driven by arrogant/intellectuals.

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yes, and apparently states with better hair, people with more tattoos, and those with cities primarily below the average US elevation did as well. :rolleyes:

Who really cares? This is just so much sour grapes. I voted for Kerry. I'm upset he lost. Do I think everyone who voted for Bush is an idiot? No - I know many people who voted for Bush personally, and they are quite intelligent.

And IQ really has little to do with such things as common sense, ability to deal with real world situations, etc.

Are we going to have to listen to this crap for the next 4 years? Anyone who voted for Kerry and now just sits back and waits to tell the Bush supporters "I told you so!" or make up excuses about why he lost or badmouths anyone who voted for Bush is far lower on any of my lists than the many who voted for Bush.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hey I know! Let's help FOSTER an image of the left as intellectual elites. And find another way to call the right stupid at the same time! Good idea people.

10. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Yeah, it's hilarious to see some Yapper on the TV whining that the "Blue States" are where the creativity is, and the "Red States" are the realms of ignorance.

Hmmm. Smart enought to hack the election, but too dumb to be creative? Does not compute. :D

Overall, though, the folks who are either crowing with glee or moaning in sorrow over this election are a very minute segment of The People. Most folks have just gone on back to their daily doings...

Hey, they're gonna do it again in four years!

'Rat

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I think this is a silly argument and that it is sheer folly to characterize those who don't agree with us as less intelligent. That's really the way to change people's minds, isn't it?!

12. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Hey you know the truth behind the DC numbers. Stats are used to mean what you want. DC has a higher percentage of high wage earners and education level that doe not represent the rest of the city so far. That difference will only grow if MLB is able to get their "free" stadium at S. Capital St. :rolleyes:

13. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I highly resent that first list. It was based on a flawed model that attempted to correlate income and IQ. By that reasoning, Bill Gates has a IQ of 8,734,273,109 and Einstein's IQ in his early days would have hovered around 90.

14. Maclarny thread starter macrumors 6502

Maclarny

Wasn't intented to insult; just an interesting tidbit of information.

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Maclarny, what it really shows is the depth of emotion on the part of those who resent having lost control of federal power and of the budget. To be charitable, I'd call it "psychosis".

:), 'Rat

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The smugness and feeling of 'mandate' of many in the GOP doesn't leave me hopeful for the federal budget or powers either. The depth of emotion they have for finally getting their hands back on the reigns of power is charitably pretty scary.

17. Maclarny thread starter macrumors 6502

Maclarny

I've gotten used to that fact over the last two years... :rolleyes:

18. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

Yea, take that data with a big grain of salt...

IQ and the Wealth of Nations

19. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If Kerry voters actually believed stuff like this, it would probably be much easier to prove that the opposite is true.

And I'm not talking IQ. :rolleyes:

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yep all us Kerry voters sure are stoopid aren't we? :rolleyes:

22. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

The Kerry states also have lower divorce rates than the red states. And are far more likely to be net contributors to the Federal budget than net recipients. How's that for irony.

23. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I like the idea of those stats, but before someone else says it, I will can you point to sources on this? Given the above reference to IQ's; I would not find it surprising.

Since religious views are a popular discussion of the election, I thought that IQ list was interesting. A good number of States can fall into the "Bible Belt" definition used by many.

Some historical notes on the Bible is that parables and "words" from God, worked well with a population that was uneducated. For the passage "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven."; was more easily understood by the masses. Today we have many sources that are trying to spin the meaning, but if we accept the basics as fact, then we have to understand "riches" alone will not get you into Heaven. It is your deeds and actions. Otherwise we have to accept the fact that the Bible was translated by man, and therefore open to the needs of the man doing the translation.

How this translate to the general population in the US and the elections. In particular this past election. People are motivated by fear in many cases. And 9-11 provided a valid outlet for that fear IMO. For it was the first time that many truly felt that their safety was at question. The GOP and GWB used that to their advantage. In going to war against Iraq, and by playing on the unfounded fears of homosexuality and abortion. And also playing deep into the safety that many find in religion. And playing into a society that has little time due to financial and other pressures to form their own opinion independently (despite the "liberal media bias").

IMO people are wanting to hear more about the Laci Peterson case, than they are about the truth behind their government. Looking at the comments from F911, that Congress has little time to read the bills they are voting on is no surprise to me. Yet one would hope they have the staff that does, and can make the case that a vote yea or nay is needed depending on the Bill.

24. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Who says we do?

I've been following this thread and found it kind of silly, and from what I've seen, very few if anyone's taken this seriously.

25. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Hopefully the only people I insulted were the one's who really believed stuff like this, so is anyone insulted by my comment?

---

Remember, I did say "If Kerry voters actually believed stuff like this..."

It's not like I said something like, "Hey, here's a Kerry voter's early home movie..."

[​IMG]

EDIT: I have to agree with the silly factor, but it does make me wonder how many people than fell for this news AND the free iPod scam... [​IMG]