SmarterChild

Discussion in 'Community' started by TrenchMouth, Jan 26, 2005.

1. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

Not sure if this has been posted before, but if you add SmarterChild to your AIM buddy list and start talking to it...

Well it is mighty creepy, but very useful. During peak traffic hours it tends to slow down, but it is generally pretty trustworthy.

It is deffinantly worth a look at, and I can't imagine that it will be before long that companies start adopting these as online help guides.

You can find more info at their site.

2. SodaPopMonster macrumors regular

If I remember right, there are actually several of these bots.
    (including AustinPowers)

doesn't really appeal to me that much...

monster

3. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

It's pretty handy if you have a chat program open most of the time. Weather, movie listings, dictionary services, etc. are all faster than doing a web search.

4. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I was introducing yesterday Smarterchild to a friend, I use it a lot for info and fun, pretty handy, I used to leave messages for friends with it/him, I like it.

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  6. Simon Liquid macrumors regular

I used to talk to/harass SmarterChild for fun years ago, whenever I was bored or depressed. But then, SmarterChild went away and when he/she/it came back, things were different. It kept going on about how I had to pay if we wanted to keep on being friends. I didn't much care for that, so I haven't talked to it since. AliceBot is a lot more fun to talk to anyway, though I'm not sure if anyone has one on AIM at the moment.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

That's illegal in most states, you know... ;)

8. TrenchMouth thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, after introducing a friend to it the other day we started pressing it for some more interesting facts. ask SC how many people are talking to it at any given time, its neat to see how internet usage changes based on what time it is.

there are some serious limitations, but for what it is designed for it is very snappy, and in the end thats what i like most about it. i would stop short of trying to have a conversation with it, because i have friends in my buddy list for that, but for movie times and such, it is very snappy.

i could see companies getting one of these in the future for not only customers but also employees. it could be used as a trouble shooter as well as a human resources front. it wouldnt answer the really hard problems but it might filter out a bunch of easy ones, and would be more comfortable than say a help program.

who knows, in time it could be much more useful than it already is.

9. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

AIMbot "Zola" (buddy name ZolaOnAOL) handles these topics:
    Calculator, Chat, Dictionary, Games, Horoscope, Movies, News, Polls, Sports, Stocks, Thesaurus, Weather​
    and plays a few games too.

10. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

When I first learnt about smarterchild I talked to it for 30 minutes :p.

Haven't talked to it since, though.

scem0

11. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Gee, I certainly hope my online friend Eliza is a real person. I talk to her all the time to get advice on personal problems. ;)

12. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

how do you do that?

reality :confused:

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

My problem with these bots is that they collect information about you. I tried this thing out and then asked it to delete all my information. I hope that means that it deletes my record entirely and doesn't retain my screen name. I had the problem for a couple of weeks (that, fortunately, vanished) of getting spam IMs about webcams and such. I am just afraid that the company running SmarterChild will sell my screen name and that problem will start back up.

14. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Calvinatir

THe guy who designed SmarterChild came into my computer store once, he talked with me for a good hour about it. Pretty inteligent guy, started smarterchild quite a few years ago and almost got sued by AOL for it way backa few years ago.