Smarties in the States

Discussion in 'Community' started by oldschool, Apr 10, 2004.

1. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

Do you have Smarties in the states? It's candy coated chocolate pieces, multicolored and in a box. I know they have them in ireland and her in canada...but i've never seen them in the US...anybody?

oh and why did my post about the 40 dollar ipod mini get sent to the wasteland...i wasn't posting that to get people to sign up, i wanted to have a discussion about pyramid schemes and other online schemes...but i guess this place has turned into an american media conglomerate and decided to censor everything. oh well.

2. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I live in the US, and I've had smarties; not recently though. :(

I never noticed your iPod post, so I can't comment on that.

3. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    as far as i know, Smarties are different here in the States, they're not the chocolate candy things that are similar to M&Ms. the smarties here...i can't remember what they are exactly.

4. macka macrumors regular

Well, I don't know about the US...but they have 'em here in Australia! :D
    We got M&M's and Maltesers too.

Oh, and yeah that '$40 iPod mini' post was destined for wasteland...I've noticed that anything to do with scams generally end up there... :cool:

5. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

In the US smarties are little round pieces of candy. They are not hard candy but not chewy either. They aren't chocolate covered.

6. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

You can find the European/Australian/probably-everywhere-else-in-the-world style Smarties in the U.S. in shops specialing in foreign foods, but they're pretty pricy for what should be 60 cent candy. (BTW in Slovakia they're called Lentilki.)

Smarties in the US, on the other hand, are little fruit flavored hard sugary discs, kind of like pez.

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

You can find Commonweath Smarties in the US, usually in "British Shops" or Upscale Drug Stores. We also have another Smarties which are rolls of chalk like candy disks. Each pastel color has a different flavor. American Smarties usually appear everywhere around Easter and Halloween, and aren't very Prevelent otherwise.

TEG

8. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    funny you should ask...

recently i discovered "giant" smarties at a local store and my wife and i are now addicted to them. the package of them is slightly larger than a roll of quarters...

mmm, mmm sugary tooth-decay goodness.

btw, this is the u.s. "sweet tart" style smarties.

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

[​IMG] These are US smarties

and I'm assuming [​IMG] these are your smarties.

I love (American) smarties. They rock.

10. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

somebody mentioned malteasers.........do you have those in the states?

the reason i ask is because that supremely annoying irishman Colin Farrel was on leno and said that in the US there were no such thing as smarties...at least leno hadn't ever heard of them

11. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

On the topic of candy

A UK Mars bar is called a Milkyway in the States.
    A US Mars bar is called an Almond Mars bar in the UK (IIRC).
    I haven't found the equivalent of a UK Milkyway in the States yet. They are a bit like Three Musketeers, but better. ;)

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Did he call them "****ing smarties" or otherwise drop the F Bomb at various intervals during this interview?

13. AngryLawnGnome macrumors regular

Negative. Gotta say I haven't even heard of malteasers. What are they?
    EDIT: I looked them up, and I'm not positive, but I think they might be the American equivalent of "Whoppers".

14. macka macrumors regular

Lol. I don't know what 'Whoppers' are but I looked 'em up but it seems that way. It's 'Maltesers' by the way....funny how all the names change.

We also have America's 'Smarties' but they're called something else...forgot what they're called.

Attached Files:

15. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    yeah Maltesers are similar to Whoppers, or any Malted Milk Ball, butof course Maltesers are better, by a long way, every American that's tried them thinks so too. :)

UK Milky Way is very similar to Three Muskateers, but much smoother and creamier.

There's a few places in NYC that now sell English candy, usually for a buck (but now gone up to $1.25-$1.40. one of the best and original English places is Myers of Keswick and they sell a whole bunch of good stuff.

oh, and every American I've met that has tried English candy, thinks it's sooo much better hen American candy :) and i used to buy a lot over here, so a lot of people tried hah

16. King Cobra macrumors 603

Re: scem0's first pic in his above post

I dislike those Smarties...I received one wrapper of those Smarties a long while back from my university . . . I must be one of the few wierdos that has a sweet tooth, but would rather taste the plastic wrapping on the outside of that Smarties wrapper than the actual candy.

17. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

There are smarties (as pictured previously) US style, and the other candy which are called smarties in the UK are also available. I've had them but can't recall their name. I wouldn't ask Jay Leno a quesiton like that. You have to interact a lot with kids to know. Smarties (US style) are available at your 99c store and they now have sour Smarties. The other candies (UK smarties) are available in vending machines where you put in your quarter and get a handful out.

18. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

oh yeah whoppers are definitely exactly the same as malteasers.

and yeah colin did call them "f***** smarties".

19. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

Talking about all this candy is making my teeth hurt. I'm gonna go brush my teeth now.

20. bont macrumors member

One of the biggest confectionary crimes, and it's still a contentious issue here in the UK, was when the powers-that-be decided that 'Marathon' should be renamed 'Snickers'. :mad:

21. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

hmmm... makes me hungry :D

22. oldschool thread starter macrumors 65816

oldschool

it's always been snickers here... i didn't know it was called anything else...marathon is a much better name though.

have any of you ever heard of cuban lunch?

23. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i went to canada for a little vacation about 2 years ago, and i was amazed! smarties are chocolate? i was amazed. i like both smarties. US has a lot of things different than other countries.

24. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

My favorite candy is (U.S. style) Smarties. I like Candy Corn too. I'm sure that Smarties make you smart and Candy Corn is good for you because it's named after a vegetable.

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

After the post by scem0, yes I have had Smarties. I prefer a candy that I can allow to dissolve (suck on) in my mouth.

A also like whoppers, it has been a while though.