Smartphone Camera Shootout - All In

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by PollyK, Apr 21, 2013.

1. PollyK, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2013

macrumors regular

2. macrumors 68000

Sylon

Not impressed by the HTC One's camera at all. The pictures looked dull and hazy. The Samsung GS4 photos were pretty nice though. Colors popped, pictures were bright and just looked better than the other phones, sometimes even more than the DSLR they were comparing them to.

3. MRU, Apr 22, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

4. macrumors 6502

not everyone is disappointed with the HTC One camera

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6747/htc-one-review/7

5. macrumors 6502a

Yeah these don't look good at all. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. macrumors 6502a

Seeing as a lot of reviews before said the Nokia phone had the best night photos out of all the phones that were out at the time, and now the iphone 5 beats it in this test and the GS3 isn't that far behind I call BS.

7. macrumors 68040

From some of the comments on the OP link, it looks like it might be just the default settings. The S3 suffered the same thing before ICS. You had to make sure the settings were proper cause the default settings sucked.

I'll just wait for onthecouch to review it. If he has nothing bad to say about it, then it's good. ;)

8. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

That test was done before HTC issued a camera software update. The tests that were done after that patch are significantly better.

I can't wait to test for myself this week to really see how well it holds up.

I'm not convinced HTC made the right decision not "playing" the MP game.

9. macrumors 68000

Sylon

I'm right there with you. Your regular Joe-shmo consumer is going to look at the HTC One specs and compare it to other phones. They are not going to know or care what an "Ultra Pixel Camera" is, they are just going to see "4MP" and be like "whoa, wait a minute, this Samsung has a 13MP camera."

Won't exactly help them from a marketing standpoint.

10. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

That, too, I guess. Harder to market.

But I'm speaking more just about the experience too. Even if people commit to the One they may find that 4MP just isn't enough. How important are low-light shots for people? I'm just not sure. It feels like a heft tradeoff.

I'll see for myself this week.

11. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Certainly its made e realise that I don't actually take photos at night or in low light, and I actually would have preferred an 8-13mp sensor instead. Though I realise it wouldn't make too much difference for Facebook or Instagram, it would make significantly more difference than low light does.