smartphone/pda - isync/entourage

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by redeye be, Feb 14, 2005.

1. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Hi all,

My dad got his car window smashed out and his phone stolen...

He, unlike myself, is working with X for several years now. He uses entourage for mail, calendar, notes and stuff.
    He syncs all this info with his Tungsten. I did not test this myself but apparently this is not entirely worry-free.

He's now looking for a one machine replacement for his stolen phone and palm.

Forgive me my nooblevel on this one but:
    1. Does isync only work with the apple set of apps. In other words, will isync do anything for entourage?

2. What machine should he buy? I was thinking about the Treo 650 or SE P910 (allthough he prefers palm OS he does not realy use a palm spesific app)

I'm sure he (or i) will come up with other questions, but i'd love you ppls cents on this one.

Oh yea, he needs BT ;)
    EDIT: He will also need a BT GPS unit to go with the contraption. I know :p

thx ppl, Cheers.

2. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Solafaa

I am looking for the same thing aswell. I would like a Phone/PDA that will do everything. I know that iSync does not work with Entorage, it works with Apple apps such as iCal, Mail and Address Book.

3. mpw Guest

I believe there are scripts available that'll allow you to use iSync with Entourage. Do a search in these forums I've seen this question answer a while ago.

As far as what to buy I'm trying to make this decision at the moment too and keep finding the best devices for what I want all run PocketPC them being the XDAIIi and HP6*** I've never used Palm but am trying to find a Treo to handle as well. The only issue I had with the P910i was when I was looking you could only view spreadsheets and I need to edit them as well.

4. redeye be thread starter macrumors 65816

redeye be

Scripts i didn't find (anybody?). I did find this neat little app http://www.e2sync.com/ on versiontracker, but if scripts are able to do the same...

Any ideas, tips on the hardware?

EDIT: found the scripts http://macscripter.net/ this would ad another syncing cycle as these scripts sync entourage with the respective iApps. Good tip though

5. angelneo macrumors 68000

6. redeye be thread starter macrumors 65816

redeye be

Woops, i totaly forgot to reply to this part of the message :eek:

for the P910i it's a bummer to hear about the non editable spreadsheets. does anybody know if this Symbian thing is kicking of?
    GPS - somethin he will be adding i think - solutions don't look that good i think (screensize - landscape hack GPS soft?)

As for the PocketPC. :cool: the first (and only) PC that entered the parental house was the one i bought to code in VisualBasic (for school).
    He got me hooked on a Classic as a kid :D . Windows is not realy an option ;)

I think the Treo is starting to look nicer, being palm an such.

thx for your comments! any more? :)