Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by WillJS, Mar 24, 2007.

1. WillJS macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2007
    I'm looking to buy a smartphone. I'm not sure one whats the best (Palm OS or windows mobile) What brands are the best, etc. An iPhone, sadly, is not an option because I'm Verizon.. :mad: !

SO.. what some phones you guys really like. Pref. ~$300 or less. Mac compatibility isn't needed. but would be an awesome extra. So.. what phone do you guys have/like? :cool:
  2. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    I'm looking forward to the upcoming Nokia e90, pretty much does everything.
  3. Suture macrumors 6502a

Feb 22, 2007
    I currently use a Motorola Q (Windows Mobile 5). It's "okay" but that might be stretching it. It's very inefficient in regards to memory management. There are a lot of annoying quirks about the phone, but as long as you don't ask too much of it, it gets the job done. For more info, I recommend

The nice thing about Windows Mobile though is you can sync up even wirelessly with an Exchange server. I can sync up my Tasks, E-mail, Calendar, etc. -- with my work account.

Prior to this, I had a Nokia 9300 (Symbian OS) which I loved. The only reason I had to get rid of it was because in my area (Northern VA/DC) the signal was not that great on the Cingular network, and the data was far too slow. I don't even think you can get the Nokia 9300 anymore; it's been around for a while, receiving updates slowly over time.

If I could do it all over again, I'd have purchased a Treo (Palm version) instead.
  4. WillJS thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2007
    Ok guys, thanks.

More info:

Mostly I will be "txting" with it, so a comfortable keyboard would be nice. I had an old cheap Palm OS type thing with some fun games.. so I might play games on it. Touchscreen.. again, not nesscessary, but useful (w/ stylus). Big and bulky is a NO! :p I've been searching, web and store, and found some models I like. It doesn't HAVE to be a smartphone.. but that's what I'm looking at.

Currently, I have a MotoKRZR. I would dis-recommend this phone to anyone. Firstly, (being a "txter") the gel grips on the keys rips at your thumbs. It's terribe slow opening/changing menus, mine has a freezing problem that they wont fix.. :mad: Some people don't like it, some do.. it's all preference.. just sharing my views. :p
  5. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2004
    Hope You're Ready For A Lot of Info...

Since you're with Verizon, the Nokia e90 or the 9300 will not work. Honestly, it all depends what you are going to do with it. The big factor: media.

If you want to use it for media, meaning any sort of music, movies, pictures, etc, that you want to access from a memory card, you will be limited to the Palm and Windows Mobile platform. If not, then you break the barrier down to the BlackBerry.

The Palm Treo 700wx & 700p are both physically similar, with the main differences being the OS change and a few OS-specific button on the front. The 700wx has been vastly improved from the original 700w because it has twice as much memory available than before which makes for better multi-tasking, a feature that is only on the Windows Mobile platform.

The 700p has the archaic Palm OS 5.4 Garnet that's been in existence since the wheel. The archaic-ness brings some positive factors, one being stability (most of the time) and also a a vast amount of programs written for the Palm OS.

The Motorola Q is good if you want a BlackBerry-esque device that can handle media. It does not have a touch screen, but it is a very high resolution. With the firmware update to MOK2, there battery life has increased substantially from less than a day to close to the rated life. It has Windows Mobile as it's operating system.

The Samsung i730: don't get it. Soon to be replaced by the i760, which looks very interesting.

The VX6700 is the same as Sprint's PPC-6700. It too has the Windows Mobile OS on it, which has the same capabilities as the Treo 700wx and partially the Q. I have read complaints about the earpiece sucking. It has also had some crashing issues, but there is a leaked firmware that could fix it. It also has WiFi built-in for data usage on your own network without being charged Verizon's $45 per month. This to is going to be replaced by the 6800, which should be out in a couple months.

---/ \----------/ \----------BLACKBERRY-------/ \---------/ \------

Get it? I broke down the wall I was referring to earlier? Yes, I know, very, very bad.

The 8703 is the traditional BlackBerry with the QWERTY keyboard built-in and direct-push email. It also has an Intel processor to speed up constructing the complex emails and web pages that you may visit. There are no media possibilities, as there is no memory card format available. There is a new BlackBerry coming up that may replace the 8703 called the 8803 with may have a camera, media slot, and a trackball BlackBerry Pearl.

The 7130 different from the traditional ones by having the SureType keyboard that puts 2 QWERTY letters on one key. Some people love this, some people hate it with a passion. It just depends on your preference.

This is just a brief summary of the phones, but I would recommend you go to the Verizon Wireless section of and check out the PDA/Smartphone section on there and see what people say. It may help you out a lot.
  6. Metatron macrumors 6502

Jul 2, 2002
    Have to agree with above post. Get a blackberry, I have the pearl....LOVE IT.
  7. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    I've got a BlackBerry (or CrackBerry :D) Pearl and love it. Granted, it's not available on Verizon, but they do have other BBs.
  8. WillJS thread starter macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2007
    Awesome advice! :D

Thanks for taking the time to write your replys :).

I will use it for things such as pictures.. MAYBE music.. so.. that said.

*goes to check forums*