Smash Bros Brawl Speculation Thread

Discussion in 'Games' started by bobber205, Nov 22, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Might as well start it now. ;)

Here's my first question to get things going.

I hope that the online part of brawl won't be a play-only-with-your-registered-Wii-friends deal. That would suck. I sure hope it's more along the lines of a "random" matchup, hopefully based on skill somewhat.

What do you guys think?

2. Gunhaver macrumors member

I wouldnt get my hopes real high as far as online mode goes, this is Nintendo, Im expecting a vs a friend mode and a totally random mode. Anything more, rankings, matchups, online tournaments, etc., that would just be a pleasant surprise.

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Same here. And even that I would be pleased with.

4. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I really, really hate Nintendo's stupid number system instead of usernames. It's extremely ridiculous. What's the point?

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

point is that you can have your own username, unlike Xbox Live. Someone has your name? tough. though I think the single Wii code is good now.

right! online is a definite. So says my crystal ball.

6. smitty330 macrumors member

smitty330

It may seem a little silly, but it is a way for people not to create a name like "Nastycrap112 or yourmomlastnight453" Something gross like that. But, I would like create a name for myself as well, but whatever.

7. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of the whole "friend code" thing, but whatever, it's not that big of a deal.

What would be great is if they developed a Battle.net community. I'm assuming that's kind of what the Xbox Live deal is, but I've never played an Xbox in my life, so I don't know. ;)

Anyone know if Brawl is going to be in a 3D environment? That's the only thing that I could see them improving upon, well, aside from more characters or such.

I'm curious how it's going to work with the Wiimote though, might be time to hook up the ol' 'Cube controllers for it.

8. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

Jimmi said it first... I can make my username Zane and not worry about any other Zanes in the world taking it first.

Don't you hate it when you make a screename for IM/email/domain name and it's taken? And you have to come up with a stupid name like rogerdoger324ty?

Hey, at least we have one friend code per console rather than one friend code per game a la DS.

9. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

Can you set aliases? That would be nice, at least that way with friends you can have whatever name you choose. But invisible to those who arent your friends.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

12. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

any smash brothers
    should not be even considered as a fighting game.

13. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

*kicks*

Have you played it? :mad:

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Characters run, jump and fight. It pits players against each other, either CPU or multiplayer. It's a fighter :confused: with more depth and speed than a lot of other fighters out there (looking at you, Mortal Kombat).

15. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

We still play SSMB:M regulary. I just hope this next one lives up to the SSB name.

I'm not a fan of the friend codes either. I wanna see some contest and tournament, although I doubt that will ever happen. SSB would be my life if that happened.

16. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

*stabs you with Street Fighter II Turbo and Mortal Kombat 2*

2D fighters > 3D fighters. :p

Okay, Soul Calibur 2 is cool too.

17. admanimal macrumors 68040

Super smash bros. has always been in 3D. The movement has just been restricted so you don't have the freedom to roam around however you like.

18. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I believe EvilGeek (person who asked the original question) was talkin about a 3d environment where you can move in 3 dimensions. Not the actual structures that make up the environment. And it hasn't been restricted, that is how the game is. It wouldn't be Smash Brothers if it wasn't fighting on a 2D plane.

19. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Then you are ignorant about the game.

20. Gunhaver macrumors member

Ridiculous arguments aside....

Back to the game. What should be added?
    Going back to play the first SSB again, there are some cool things that were taken out in SSBM, such as the awesome characer intros, Samus stepping out of the pod, the Arwing swooping by to drop off Fox, etc.. And the mario level from that game was so a lot of fun, it had those floating slanted platforms to the sides that you couldnt stand on but were good for quickly jumping off of, and had a smaller hard platform placed below a larger bowl shaped soft platform. Overall a very unique and interesting stage, such a shame it was counted out in favor of the likes of that bland Yoshi stage.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Graphics 3D (not necessary), gameplay 2D (necessary). The gameplay in Smash Bros is the primary factor and it's a good, solid, pixel perfect 2D engine that just deals with 3D sprites (likely with 2D placeholders for collisions).

Meh.

I'd like to see more characters from revived and new Nintendo series. Advance Wars would be excellent. Maybe a character from Metroid Hunters? Dark Samus and Dark Link could be very cool.
    TOAD. Toad needs to be in it! A sort of Pichu rival in size. Powerful and fast but his size would make him easy to knock off and has low defence. Midna? :D Tom Nook could be funny, swinging his guitar around like. With Solid Snake in there (Konami) I'd love to see Soma Cruz jump into the action, i mean no spoilers for his games but what a character! Shy Guy or Koopa Trooper? Meta Bowser (or whatever he was called) would be awesome to play as, balanced out with his incredibly slow movement. King DeDeDe (though with MetaKnight being in there this raises his chances of an appearence).

The Final Fantasy guy doing the music just warms my cheeks. After playing FF1-3 for a bloody long time now I'm really falling in love with the music. IMO not as good as early Huelsbeck but his new stuff isn't that good anyways. ho hum!

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

You know how a secret boss (event match 51) was Giga-Bowser? I want to see Ganon as a secret boss. You know, Ganondorf's final form from Ocarina of Time...wielding dual glowing swords...:D

I'd also like to see Sonic for sure. And maybe one Square character...either Cloud or Sora (both were in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories for GBA, so they have appeared on a Nintendo platform). But the Square bit is unlikely unless Wii gets Kingdom Hearts 3.

Maybe Viewtiful Joe?
    Work the Pikmin in there somehow, either as an item or playable (Captain Olimar?). Maybe even the Dog from Duck Hunt :)

23. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

How about moving it to full 3D, making it like Power Stone?

24. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

No you can't, like others have said that wouldn't be SSB. It would be a totally different game. It wouldn't make sense if it was totally 3D.

They should take out little Link and put in Wind Waker Link, that would be awesome. WW with his crazy eyes. :)

25. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

If they go for a Square character, it HAS to be Chrono!