Smashed Rear Panel of iPhone 5 (UK)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Emma92, Feb 21, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 23, 2012
    I bought my friend's unwanted contract iphone 5 in december, and have been using it with a case, but unfortunately I have been unlucky enough to get a cracked top glass panel, through the case's camera opening.

What are my options?

As i have purchased from a friend, can I still take it to the apple store?

I have also been able to find a replacement part on ebay but have already been to one repair shop who said they do not do this repair.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 68000

Nov 2, 2006
    And Yourself?
  3. macrumors regular

Oct 18, 2011
    Have you tried turning it off and back on again:D
  4. macrumors regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    Do you have insurance on it?

My guess is that Apple will not replace something like this. This is not a Apple defect or whatever. Even if under warranty, they do not replace broken phones due to the customer dropping them, etc. (as far as I know, I mean, why would/should they?)

You basically broke/cracked the phone by mistake on your own it sounds like.

That's why I choose to pay the extra $7.99 per month. Just "in case" something bad happens or I have an accident, even though I also have a case.

Good luck.
  5. macrumors 603

Aug 4, 2011
    You're being ripped off and scammed.

No insurance, you break it.
    Apple policy is $229 for out-of-warranty repair on iPhone 5.

With Insurance.
    7.99 or whatever monthly fee + $199 non refundable deductible on approved claim.

Cheaper to go without insurance, no reason to pay the monthly on top of broken device fee.
  6. macrumors regular

Dec 6, 2012
    Orchard Park, NY
    I have Verizon and in the past it was a $50 deductible to get a refurbished phone.

I just sent Verizon an email to see if that has changed and am looking into what would be the best option for me in case something happened to my i5.

I really hope I'm not paying $9.99 (I was wrong thinking $7.99 as I just looked on my bill and it's $9.99) and then have to pay $200 for a new phone.

Thanks for the info.
  7. macrumors member

Apr 28, 2011
    At 9.99 a month, assuming you replace your phone every time you're eligible for a new on contract phone (20 months on verizon)...199.80 dollars plus tax plus a deductible (150.00) if you have to make a claim. You end up paying 349.80 plus tax over 20 months if you make one claim. The only advantage verizon has over AppleCare is that they also cover theft.

With AppleCare you pay 99.00 dollars plus a 49.00 deductible. Do the math. :)
  8. macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2013
    7.99 a month? Thats almost $200 for 2 years. I prefer to use Apple Care + for $100 up front. It extends the warranty to two years, and Apple will replace your device for a deductible of $49. If you don't have AC+, then I would take it to Apple anyway to see what they do. I have heard of stories of them replacing cracked ones for free, though I have never tried. The worst they will do is charge $199 for a OOW replacement. Good luck!
  9. macrumors 603

Feb 15, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    AppleCare+ is the way to go for accidental insurance.
  10. macrumors newbie

Feb 21, 2013
    United Kingdom
    I think you should just leave it for now as it will cost you way to much to replace the back as the parts are really expensive atm and its pretty hard to replace due to the construction of the iphone 5.

To replace the back you have to take appart the whole phone and I mean start from the screen and take every psingle part of the iphone.

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 23, 2012
    that's really sad :( It just keeps getting worse and is flaking off more all the time :(

I bought the part, i'm going to attempt to repair it myself by removing the glass (using a blowdryer to loosen the glue, and then stick the new part in with some 3M tape. I'm hoping it will be straight forward.. If not then I will send it for repair cause I found someone who could repair for £37.50. Bargain!
  12. macrumors regular

Oct 6, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Keep us posted on the repair!
  13. macrumors 68000

Mar 22, 2011
    HubertK is right in what he's saying that Iphone5 has to be completely dismantled. Best bet would be take it to Apple pay the $229 and receive a refurished iphone5( or ask to have this repaired if they want to do it).
    This is to difficult a repair for a repair shop and would be too costly.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Mar 21, 2011
    Newcastle, UK
  15. macrumors 65816

Jan 3, 2011
    As far as I know apple replaces the back of the iPhone 5 for about £50. Book it at your local apple store and get then to look at it.
  16. macrumors 68020

Jun 6, 2010
    Let me tell you this is totally wrong...they can replace the screen or give a replacement for a fee, not the back only, and not that cheaply...
  17. macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2010
    The 4s was £25 to replace the back
    Take it in to apple, you might even get it replaced for free
  18. macrumors 6502

Dec 26, 2012
    It's still $9.99 per month for insurance through Asurion on VZW. I just dropped Asurion and opted for AppleCare+ directly through Apple. I get two accidental replacements for a $49 deductible on top of the one time $99 fee for the plan itself. Asurion will send you a refurbished iPhone 5 for a $199 deductible on top of the $9.99 you pay on your monthly bill. Apple will essentially send you a brand new remanufactured device for $49. Do the math. AppleCare+ is better and cheaper in the long term.
  19. macrumors 604

Jul 6, 2009
    You'll risk completely breaking the phone. I think you should just live with it, at least until you're willing to get it fixed (replaced) by Apple. I would just tape the flaking pieces of glass and put a case over it. :(
  20. macrumors 68000

Jul 12, 2010
    London UK
  21. macrumors 68030

Jan 17, 2013
    United Kingdom
    That's a really cool site, just played around with different colours for the past 5 minutes lol.

One assumes though that should you have an issue with your iPhone after you've pimped it up so to speak, your warranty is void because a third party has opened the device? Plus you'd lose that phone as Apple would likely offer a swap in any case. I'd be interested to know how that works?

Thanks for sharing though, really nice site. :)
  22. macrumors 68030

Jan 17, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Just read the FAQ's section and it does void your warranty. They offer a 90 day warranty on the parts they have replaced. Still if you are willing to take the risk, why not. :)
  23. macrumors 68040

Oct 21, 2012
    You also lose the ability to do an "out of warranty" swap. So if it breaks, it's the full £500 for a new one.
  24. macrumors 68030

Jan 17, 2013
    United Kingdom
    Its a shame Apple don't offer a service like this.