smbclient trying to connect....

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nekkets, Nov 29, 2005.

1. nekkets macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I had been using little snitch for a year and recently, I realized that smbclient is a lot more active than usual. Little snitch keep telling me that smbclient is trying to connect to some server. After I deny connection, another connection window will pop up for 3 to 4 times, showing basically the same information.

Can anyone tell me what is smbclient trying to connect to? Am I having a virus or what? The server and port can be seen from the attachment shown.

I am using 10.3.9. iBook 1Ghz.

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

Well smbclient is for Samba, so I would imagine if you are on a network with a lot of computers and printers its trying to contact whatever is on that network, I think.. not really sure, someone else will respond better.

3. nekkets thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm...But I am not trying to connect to anything. By the way, you're right. I am on a campus network.

4. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I'd guess it's trying to connect to the WINS servers on your campus network, the servers that automatically route IP addresses and names for Windows networking. It should be completely harmless, and ultimately help you connect to friends' computers across the campus.

5. nekkets thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Xenu007 macrumors member

Xenu007

smbclient but I'm not on a network

I'm getting the same smbclient connection request but I'm at home. I'm not part of any network. Could this be a botnet virus?

7. Xenu007 macrumors member

Xenu007

Microsoft Office 2008 "Feedback" feature is the culprit

I was wrong. I was unwittingly connected to a network as follows:

Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac has a setting under General Preferences called "Feedback." It provides you with the opportunity to allow Microsoft to monitor your hardware and software configurations "anonymously" to evaluate user trends, etc. If you check "Yes" the smbclient will try to connect you to Microsoft and you will get the smbclient connection pop-up requests, if you say "No," you no longer get the pop-up requests.