SMC reset while Macbook Pro is on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by d4rklamp, Jul 14, 2010.

1. macrumors member

Hello, is it normal for the Macbook Pro to turn off when I press the shift+option+control+power button(magsafe adapter plugged in) while it is still on? It just shut down on me.

2. macrumors regular

I dont know what that key combo does but that is not how you perform an SMC reset on a notebook.

3. thread starter macrumors member

my bad. what i know is I tried the combo for resetting smc while Macbook Pro was on and i just shut down completely. is it normal?

4. macrumors regular

the instructions on Apple's website clearly state that the machine should be off, unplugged, with battery removed.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

5. macrumors 68040

iLog.Genius

That shortcut is an alternative method of resetting the SMC and should be done when the computer is off now when it's on. It powers off because you're holding the power button.

Assuming that you have a current-generation MacBook Pro, you need to press that key combination while the computer is off.

6. thread starter macrumors member

Well I have the Macbook Pro Core i5 2.40 GHZ. It seems to me that it just turned of completely, not like when you only press the power button, but as if it just lose all its power.

7. macrumors 68040

iLog.Genius

Just press the same key combination but this time with the computer off and that's resetting the SMC for your MacBook Pro.