SMC vs Linksys wireless router

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Cheap-Chopstix, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Cheap-Chopstix macrumors member

I am thinking of gettin a SMC wireless router w/usb printer port. But i've never delt with one before. I have a Linksys wired router which has done me well and still works for 3 years. Never had problems with it and have installed linksys routers flawlessly at 2 of my friends homes. Anyone ever used SMC before how is the setup like and has anyone had issues with them?

2. haiggy macrumors 65816

Why yes, yes I do have one.

I am using one right now on my iBook (sorry I don't know the model - probably the basic one) and I have had no problems whatsoever and the access to change setup is the same as on a Linksys (IP address in the web browser) It is 802.11b router and I got it for 19.99 with the mail-in rebate. :D I don't use it much for transferring files so I figured I'd save $30+ by not going 802.11g. I'm not sure what it is like to set up on the Mac because it is sending me the signal from the PC where I set it up on. (CD comes for Windows only) But it gives instructions for a Mac. I can't recall if the directions are for OS 9 or X but either way I'm sure it will suit your needs wonderfully. No problems with disconnection or anything.
    Hope that helps.

3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I have both wired and wireless SMC routers and they both work flawlessly. I wouldn't think of using any other brand.

Lethal