SMC vs Linksys wireless router

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Cheap-Chopstix, Mar 19, 2004.

1. Cheap-Chopstix macrumors member

Aug 13, 2003
    in a tree
    I am thinking of gettin a SMC wireless router w/usb printer port. But i've never delt with one before. I have a Linksys wired router which has done me well and still works for 3 years. Never had problems with it and have installed linksys routers flawlessly at 2 of my friends homes. Anyone ever used SMC before how is the setup like and has anyone had issues with them?
  2. haiggy macrumors 65816

Aug 20, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Why yes, yes I do have one.

I am using one right now on my iBook (sorry I don't know the model - probably the basic one) and I have had no problems whatsoever and the access to change setup is the same as on a Linksys (IP address in the web browser) It is 802.11b router and I got it for 19.99 with the mail-in rebate. :D I don't use it much for transferring files so I figured I'd save $30+ by not going 802.11g. I'm not sure what it is like to set up on the Mac because it is sending me the signal from the PC where I set it up on. (CD comes for Windows only) But it gives instructions for a Mac. I can't recall if the directions are for OS 9 or X but either way I'm sure it will suit your needs wonderfully. No problems with disconnection or anything.
    Hope that helps.
  3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I have both wired and wireless SMC routers and they both work flawlessly. I wouldn't think of using any other brand.