smcFanControl 1.2

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Eidorian, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

smcFanControl 1.2

A new version almost everyday sheesh!

2. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

3. Jarland macrumors regular

Should be noted:

smcFanControl simply runs in the background and continuously makes sure that your fan's minimum speed is set at the rpm that you provide. This does not, however, change how the computer will handle changing the fan when it reaches higher temperatures. So if you're doing something a bit more intense than just messing around on the net, it's not going to have much effect. This is fine in a lot of cases, but you should know what result I recently had using this software. I used it to set my minimum speed at 3000rpm, which it did. I then started rendering a video & walked away for a few minutes. When I returned, my fan was still at 3000rpm, and my MBP had reached 200F.
    Now, with that being said, I think that most of us agree that the actual solution to guarantee that no one finds themselves in my situation is to have a piece of software that actually monitors the processor temperature at all times, and automatically adjusts (killing the operating systems automatic adjustment method) based on what you set to be your preferred temperature range. I was told about another software, oddly enough called FanControl which does just that. But it's actually a tad less intrusive. Once you install it, it places itself in the system preferences, and you'll forget that it's there (other than the fact that your balls are beginning to re-grow the hair that was once burnt off). I've been running it for about 24 hours now, and my MBP has not exceeded 140F (running a full screen game), but sits idle anywhere from 104F-125F. At the moment I'm typing this, it's at 106F (in my lap).
    Here's the link: http://www.lobotomo.com/products/FanControl/index.html

4. droptine macrumors newbie

I installed smcFanControl on my MacBook and the fan still ramps up like it always has when the temperature gets above 180 degrees. I raised the minimum fan rpm from 1500 to 2500 and then used various means to max out both cpu cores. Without exception, the fan RPM will speed up faster than the minimum rpm when the temperature rises. This program does not just peg your fan rpm to a single value.

5. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

6. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

My mate Jim showed me this on his MBP the other day...he loved it! Just sat there increasing and decreasing the speed like a mad man! Its the little things that please some people aint it!

He also said this about it:

...:eek:

7. Jarland macrumors regular

Correct, I was just stating that it did so when I used it. If it did that for me, it would be a good thing for people to watch it. You wouldn't want to leave the house for a couple hours while rendering a video without being absolutely certain that the fire dept. won't be there when you get back

8. imacintel macrumors 68000

Come on iMac support! This thing gets kinda warm.

9. Eidorian thread starter macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I can say the same. I have fun with my Mac mini though. I've never heard it hit 5500 RPM's.