Smoker Ignites Portable Toilet Explosion

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by craigdawg, Jul 14, 2004.

1. craigdawg macrumors 6502

This is awesome.

----------

BLACKSVILLE, W.Va. - Warning: smoking in the toilet can be dangerous.

A portable toilet exploded Tuesday after a man who was inside it lit a cigarette.

Emergency workers said the man was not severely injured and drove himself to Clay-Battelle Community Health Center. He was later transferred to Ruby Memorial Hospital. His name and condition were not available Wednesday.

The explosion, which occurred in Blacksville, resulted from a buildup of methane gas inside the portable toilet. The methane did not "take too kindly" to the lit cigarette, said a spokeswoman for Monongalia Emergency Medical Services.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=816&e=2&u=/ap/20040714/ap_on_fe_st/exploding_toilet

2. superninjagoat macrumors 6502

superninjagoat

tehehe

Can you imagine how hilarious it would have been to be the next guy in line? *flick* *flick* BOOM! <sound of man screaming as pubes catch fire>

:eek: :D

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Have you ever seen that show myth busters. they ran a bunch of tests to see if its possible to explode a toilet with a match or whatever if you emptied bug spray, hair spray, and a bunch of other stuff right into the bowl. They couldn't relaly get much more than a little flame. With that in mind, I'd have to wonder if this toilet was being properly maintained (assuming it did happen as reported), because it would take a whole lot of methane to produce a big reaction like they seem to intimate happened.

4. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i jsut got back from the Kern, and most of us were smoking in the porta's.. im glad i didn't have to drive 20 miles to the hospital.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Stories like this need pictures :D

Damn, that would have been something to see....

D

6. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

How on earth? :eek: Sounds like something out of a comedy movie. All the port-o-potties I've seen have ventilation of some kind around the top. I can't imagine how this could have happened, unless some huge fat guy was sitting on the john for about a week solid, just letting it build up, and then gets out just as this "poor" sod walks up...

Monty Python: "And the morale of the story is... smoking can ruin your health." :p

8. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I saw that show too. They were testing normal flush toilets. Portopotties are an entirely different beast. Especially the ones that just have a hole with a seat around it. I could easily see all the piled waste on a hot day giving off some kind of nasty gas that could ignite. Well, now we have another reason to stop smoking!!

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

This should get another dumbest trick award. I also would like to have seen a picture of what was left of the portable toilet.

10. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

11. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

12. g4cubed macrumors 6502a

g4cubed

13. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    man i wonder if he was covered in excrament hehe

14. ronilynne macrumors newbie

The location of the toilet was at a Methane gas plant!

It IS true - I went to the hospital and saw him on Saturday. He is a childhood friend. I'm happy to report that he will recover completely and has given up smoking!!

15. ronilynne macrumors newbie

16. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

OK. I admit it. It was me.

I told the guy to wait a few minutes before he went in there. Because, ... well you know why, but he insisted ... then, poOF!

17. groovebuster macrumors 65816

groovebuster

18. jap4n macrumors member

yeah i agree...

its like 'if there arent photos, it didnt happen'

:D

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I very much doubt that he will stop smoking. From experience smokers won't quit if they have cancer which is far more serious. Even fighting each breath and some will still want a smoke. Go figure.

20. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    When you see a someone with a cigarette up to there stoma, you realize how hard code smokers can actually get.

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

You can definitely label them as hard core smokers. I also think that they have given up, the feeling that I'm going to enjoy the life that I have left.

22. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

23. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

24. 184550 Guest

What, that this happened? Or that this thread is from July of 2004?

I'm going with the latter.

25. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

I have known my share of smokers that use the hole in their trachea to take a drag.

Even a few running around with the O2 bottle clanking away on a cart while they puff away (I tend to stay a few feet further away from those old guys-- but surprisingly enough most of the ones carrying around the oxygen should have been dead a decade ago of natural causes)

It surprises me because those bottle guys have seemed to average around 80 years old (at least all the ones I ever meet)and still smoking--probably because they want to die, but usually the guys with the holes in their throats I run into are middle aged and for the rest of their lives are battery operated, but otherwise in good health.

Then you get those ancient pricks who are being harassed by Willard Scott and Guinness that smoke two packs a day chased by a 5th of some sort of obscure brand of rot gut that is a cross between diesel fuel and horse piss just before bed they wake up feeling great in the morning and smoke a salt saturated ham with a 3 egg omelette and a glass of bacon grease to wash it all down before walking to the grocery store across town because it's the only place left that sells their non filter Lucky Strikes.