Smokin Pot in Colorado and Washington

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by wrkactjob, Nov 16, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Wow!...so when are we going to see people enjoying a fat one on the streets?

Does federal law have the power to overide this?...(not sure how it works over there).

Will there be as in Amsterdam a lot of drug tourists?

Will other states follow suit?

Will biscuit sales increase?

2. macrumors G5

yg17

Unfortunately it was not legalized soon enough to save Hostess

3. macrumors P6

Peace

Possession is legal in Washington starting Dec 6th. It is NOT legal to consume in public.

And for the record I don't eat twinkles or cheetos.

4. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

We won't, marijuana laws in these states will be similar to alcohol laws. If drinking in the streets is illegal, same goes for pot.

We don't know, usually when there is a battle between states and the feds, it's solved by the supreme court. So it remains to be seen.

I hope not, they ruin it for everyone.

Let's hope so.

Idk about "biscuits", but Taco Bell plans in increasing business in those states by 700%

5. macrumors 6502

Smoking herb in public in seattle has been extremely common for as long as I can remember. Illegally of course, but the police don't mind.

6. macrumors 603

I'm guessing the penalty would be similar to an open container of alcohol?

I'd also guess that there won't be too much enforcement of this as long as you're not affecting anyone else with your smoke. Lighting up on a crowded side walk or bus stop is much different than lighting up in the middle of a park or something where nobody is remotely close to you. People already smoke pot in public all the time and for the most part as long as you're not bothering anyone else people don't care. Many people probably would just see someone smoking and assume its a cigarette unless they're clearly smoking a pipe or you're close enough to smell the smoke.

7. macrumors P6

Peace

Well. The Seattle police dept. made a blog for those that have questions . They included a funny gandalf bilbo baggins video.

Check it out . This is official seattle police info.

http://spdblotter.seattle.gov/2012/11/09/marijwhatnow-a-guide-to-legal-marijuana-use-in-seattle/

8. macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

9. thread starter macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Oh true, wish I lived there!

"Well, where can I legally buy pot, then?

The Washington State Liquor Control Board is working to establish guidelines for the sale and distribution of marijuana."

Wow! imagine the business entrepreneurs and their plans to produce, market and sell their competing products!

[​IMG]

10. macrumors 603

thekev

Both of your comments on this made me laugh. I can picture it, and being from California, I can do an excellent surfer stoner impression to accompany such words:D (just an impression, no bearing on reality). Perhaps there will be a street market for these non - biodegradable food products in these two states.

11. macrumors 68000

robanga

I'd definitely look at the stock price of Frito-Lay though.

12. macrumors 68000

Sydde

Now maybe Portland will press even harder to get that light rail line over to Vancouver :p

One thing that kind of troubles me though: the police blotter thing said that if you are not allowed to smoke a cigarette, you cannot smoke a joint. State law places smoking outside any public place (like a bar), at least 25' from the door. So it looks like Washington will not be seeing any of those Dutch coffee-and-weed places – unless the come with a nice big patio.

13. macrumors 603

Even places with smoking bans still have cigar lounges and hookah bars. I don't see why they wouldn't be able to do the same type of thing here.

14. macrumors 6502

Tomorrow (dec 6) marks the first day of legalized cannabis in washington state. It will be legal for adults over the age of 21 to possess up to an ounce of cannabis and use it in a private setting. Over the course of the next year state government will establish guidelines for the commerce of cannabis in state. The federal government continues its antiquated vendetta based on misinformation and prejudice, firmly entrenched in the early- 20th century mindset that continues to haunt modern America. As a proponent of personal freedom as well as personal responsibility, I feel fortunate to be able to witness and take part in such a great moment in our society.

15. macrumors 68000

Sydde

Not to mention that other watershed thing. Bring a nice big flower, the kind with the red hairs, to a gay wedding!

16. macrumors 6502

Of course., Major positive moves for freedom and liberty today. Licenses (marraige, not cannabis) available at 12:01 am today. King county has a three day waiting period so the Official Ceremonies won't commence til Sunday.. But I'll definitely be blazing with some great ladies and their girlfriends tonite. :)

17. macrumors 68020

sviato