Smoking a pipe

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by phreakout13, Jan 31, 2006.

1. phreakout13 macrumors 6502

phreakout13

Hello!
    I was thinking about trying smoking tobacco via a pipe. I don't plan on making it a habbit, I've just always wanted to try it. Anyways, my question is, does anyone here on Macrumors smoke a pipe? If I was to buy one, does anyone have some advice for a beginner? What kind of pipe and tobacco would you recommend? I was thinking of spending around $50 for a $30 pipe, a tin of tobacco, a pouch for it, and a tool for my pipe myself, does that sound right? Thanks:)

2. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Pipe & cigar smoking in public has got to be the most obnoxious form of bad behavior I can think of.

One cigar can make an entire city block reek. Do people actually think hundreds of other people want to smell their cheap cherry-scented carbon monoxide?

Not to rain on your parade, but buying yourself cancer is one thing, making but pipe/cigar smoking is absurd.

My advice: Don't start. Why pay money for something that gives you absolutely nothing in return? Cancer, shorter life, and a horrible smell is all it gives you, and I cannot see why anyone would pay for that.

3. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Lets please not start a "is smokin right argument". That is going off topic. Also where does he state he´s gonna do it in public?

4. Lau Guest

I think pipe smoke smells really really bad, but having said that, the look of smoking a pipe is kind of amusing. I knew a guy called Ralph that smoked a pipe since he was 12, and I thought that had a certain element of style. :D

5. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

My dad used to smoke a pipe – this was in the early seventies, though. He gave it up when he realised how daft it looked for a man in his early twenties.

I don't think it's become any more stylish since then...

6. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

I have a friend who enjoys a pipe.
    He would scoff at a $30 pipe, apparently it makes a difference. I'd stop by a couple of tobacco stores and get their opinion on the best pipe, tobacco, and cleaners. Trying it won't kill you, but trust me- nicotine in any form is addictive. And it's really hard to quit. Good luck !

7. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

Your 16...why are thinking about smoking a pipe.

Whether it's a pipe or cigar/cigarret (sp?) i think it is stupid to do...especially at 16.

I had an uncle that smoke a pipe but he quit cause he started to lose teeth. I also had a grandfather that died from cigarrets. NOt a good habit to get into. Personally i find pipe smoke to smell good...if it is the good kinda tobacco but cigars and cigarrets smell nasty to me.

Keep yourself healthy for five-10 more years and dont ever smoke. It's not worth it.

8. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Well isn't he a fancy one :rolleyes:

9. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I enjoy a cigar everyone in awhile. I have smoked tabacco out of a pipe before and it is disgusting, worse than second hand smoke from a cigarette. If you do want to smoke buy yourself some nice cigars and smoke them from time to time.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Pipe smoke is fantastic but a good cigar (costing around $10 minimum) requires less equipment and is more of a social thing.

Of course, I only use either one a few times a year, so it's not hurting anything except my wallet.

11. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

12. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

I enjoy an occasional pipe.

Check out the ASP FAQs. You can find many quality shops in the Merchants section. I like www.cupojoes.com and www.affordablepipes.com, but there are many good shops to choose from.

There are some risks with tobacco use, but enjoying pipes/cigars is not like chain smoking cheap, crappy cigarettes. You don't (well, you're not supposed to) inhale pipe smoke. If you exercise moderation, an occasional pipe is really not that bad, regardless of what the anti-tobacco nannies tell you. An occasional glass of wine is OK; drinking an entire bottle of wine every day is not OK. The same goes for pipes/cigars.

Also, I see that you are not 18, and that will a problem if you want to buy tobacco.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. :cool:

Apparently the following text was too small. Let me make it larger. :rolleyes:
    BTW, if you don't like tobacco, that's fine, but stay on topic! Since your anti-tobacco rhetoric does not contribute to the question(s) asked, please take it to another thread. Rolleyes in 3..2..1.. :rolleyes:

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This reminds me of this caller to the Wright Stuff once. She was basically a middle aged woman, unmarried, well educated, financially well off, posh accent etc. She rang in to say that she want to get into cigarette smoking. I swear it was just the most crazy thing you'd expect to hear in the morning. A posh woman asking how she can get into smoking! Matthew just said if she's asking about smoking then she's probably best not getting into it.

If I could say some magic word so you won't smoke and I could sleep a little better knowing I potentially stopped lung cancer then I'd say it. but I dont know. but I can only say good luck and dont smoke too much. the only advice i know about cigar/pipe smoking is that you don't actually inhale it. the tobacco is acidic/alkaline and is pretty damn destructive compared to regular cigarettes. though I was told this years ago so god knows if its true! apparently its just 'the look'. compared to the pure addiction, withdrawal symptoms, crack addict similarities of Cigarette smoking - pipe smoking is probably not as bad.

14. GanChan macrumors 6502

Hey, can you put bubble liquid in a regular wooden pipe without hurting it? I wouldn't smoke a pipe, but I might enjoy blowing bubbles with it....:D

15. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Smoking cigarettes makes a bad smell which in most sercumstances is relitively tollerable. Cigars/Pipes on the otherhand is a whole different story. Do everyone around you a favor and be sure you have at least a 100 foot distance between you and anyone else when you smoke. Its a DEADLY habit that causes an extremely painful and ugly death that I unfortunately have had to watch first hand.

But hey, your 16, your gonna do it anyway...:rolleyes: Enjoy!

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Funny.. I've been thinking about smoking a pipe lately.

However, I'm 34 and (up until 15 weeks ago) I've smoked for nearly 20 years.

I quit.

Hardest thing I've ever had to do. I suggest not starting it if you're not already addicted to smoking. It's very expensive and what do you gain from it?

Why not take up heroin?

I still can't shake the want to start smoking a pipe however.

17. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

To each his own then. I think cigarette smoke is the most disgusting stinking stench there is. Even when they're "uncooked", the tobacco stinks like stale cardboard, quite in contrast to a good cigar or pipe leaf.

18. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

A recent British study found that occasional cigar or pipe use (one a week or less IIRC) had no effect on health whatsoever.

19. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Step away from the pipe - that is seriously nasty stuff. Much like yellow I also quit smoking (cigs) recently after a 15 year habit. Ouch that hurt. Nowadays the only pipe I can go for is...

[​IMG]

20. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You should ask your parents what pipe they would get...then ask them for a ride to the shop so you can buy it.
    Let us know what they say.

21. Dros macrumors 6502

I won't try to dissuade you from pipe smoking because of your health, but merely for your social image. Pipe smoking, in all but a few individuals, makes you look like an idiot, similar to wearing a cravat, a monocle, or a fedora. It usually seems clear that is being done because of a desire to be 'interesting', but more often just makes a person seem insecure and needy.

22. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Mean and hateful thing to write (that made me laugh for too long... : )

23. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

quoted for truth and so that it will be read again.

24. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Smoking a pipe makes one look needy? And insecure?

Wouldn't caring what other people think about you becuase of what you wear or do make you insecure? And needy?

25. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    When I was in college some friends of mine labeled water pipes with that. The art students got it. The people who spoke french sorta got it. A lot of the geek target audience didn't.

Smoking is bad. i have to fall into the category of people who say that cigarettes smell worse than cigars and pipes.

There are also water pipes which keep a lot of the flavor but pull out a lot of the tar. A good turkish hookah.