smoking power adapter

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thumb, Jun 8, 2006.

1. thumb macrumors 6502

ok guys and gals.

while sitting here writing replies to macrumors requests, the power adapter for my tibook started crackling and smoking and sparking. it even burned a small hole in my carpet.

i assume this is not normal. it is now unplugged from both the wall and the computer.

is it shot? i don't want to test it out yet, i would hate to hurt my lovely lappie.

ever happened to you?

thumb

p.s. i bet it was faulty thermal paste :)

2. Core Trio macrumors regular

Core Trio

Im no expert. But id suggest you never plug that in ever again and get a new one.

3. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

I had one do that in my hand (although it didn't smoke/burn....just make the loud popping noises). That was the end of that. It looks like it is the time for a new power adaptor.

p.s. you kids will smoke anything these days!

4. thumb thread starter macrumors 6502

ok then, next question, is there a super secret way/place to get a replacement for less than the $80 apple wants?

5. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

There are 3rd party ones, but they either suck ass, or they are more expensive.

6. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

There's always fleabay, but I personally wouldn't want to buy a power adapter from it primarily from a safety point of view (at least when you buy from a store/website, you have a direct point of contact should a fault occur etc), but I'm sure you'd be able to get one for less than Apple's price.

7. sethypoo macrumors 68000

eBay!:rolleyes: :)

8. thumb thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks canadaram, i will just pick one of those up

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

definitely not as a sexy as apple's. That looks like something a PC manufacturer would make ;)

10. danny_w macrumors 601

Note that the MacAlly is only rated for 45W, but I think that is all that the TiBooks needed anyway. I had one for an iBook and it worked great, and certainly much cheaper than Apple. Got mine from buy.com for $29. It doesn't have the neato charging ring, but the ring on my Apple power supply doesn't work anyway.

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yeah, but for $40 it ain't so bad. I bought an off-brand adapter to replace a failed "yo-yo" adapter for a G3 PowerBook a while ago because it was about 1/3 the price. It actually didn't end up looking all that bad, since the black square half-matched the PB. Note also that OWC (macsales.com) sells another brand for about $35, if you're really cheap.

To the original poster: Were you serious when you asked "is it shot?" I have difficulty believing anybody would have a piece of electronics produce sparks and smoke while burning a hole in their carpet and even consider plugging it in to anything at all again.

If it burns once, it'll do it again.

12. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

ebay.

13. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Power adapters should NEVER start to burn. You should send this back to Apple and demand a replacement (yes, I realise you will be outside of your warranty).

It is reasonable to expect a power adapter to break after some heavy use but never burn. This is a serious safety issue that should extend further than the warranty. What if you didn't notice it and your carpet burnt?

14. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

mmmcheese

I bought one of those when mine died....I couldn't return it fast enough...

I ended up just paying for an Apple replacement one and was much happier.

15. drift1492 macrumors member

Call apple. Tell them that it was burning and smoking and be sure to ask them if you should still use it. If they are smart, they will replace it. I doubt they want you suing them when the adapter burns your house down. Its worth a try.

16. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

I had a similar problem with my PB adapter but the adapter itself was smoking from the computer ... needless to say, I brought it into a local Apple Store and they exchanged it no questions asked...

17. danny_w macrumors 601

18. Makosuke macrumors 603

Just happened to notice that today there's a DealMac.com exclusive (right up at the top) that will give you free shipping on power adapters from MegaMacs through their link. They have some brands as cheap as $30, so it's worth a look.

19. thumb thread starter macrumors 6502

not a bad idea, i will try that if i get time.

between my wife and me, we do have three more of these things, so it was not too big a deal, but that 4th really was very convenient (really, it was).

20. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

that's nice. why would u think stuff like that is normal?

21. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Benjamin

after 4 1/2 years with my Ti my adapter finally did this. I assume it smoked near the adapter and the lead to the computer? thats what happened to mine. I currently own a power adapter from Other world computing (yes the site says 60W but it is really a 65W unit). I am pretty happy with it. One thing however the cord from the adapter to the computer is shorter then the original adapter. the link to the macwizzard site btw is the same adapter. Anyway im a college student and personally I would have bought a new one from apple if i had the money.

22. slinky0390 macrumors regular

i heard that if you stand in a tub of mashed potatoes with rubber boots on while twirling around holding a umbrella in one hand and your adapter in the other while singing mary had a little lamb it should fix the adapter.... actually i would just get another one, i would be more concerned with it posing as a fire hazzard rather than it having a detrimental effect on your laptop

23. mark! macrumors 65816

mark!

Mine got ripped and did this....

We just spliced (I think thats the word?) it and taped it and it worked great!

24. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

Oh my that is quite a fire hazard. :eek:

*casts protect spells on ibook adapter*