Smoking

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by auxplage, Jun 12, 2006.

?

Do you smoke?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    17.7%
  2. No

87 vote(s)
    66.9%
  3. Used to, but gave it up

20 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. macrumors 6502

I am interested to see how many smokers there are here at MacRumors for statistical purposes.

Everyone knows the health effects of smoking, so let's not turn this into a "smoking is the devil" thread.

Let's, instead, talk about honest ways that you quit or want to quit smoking and how you feel about smokers' rights and such.

I thought that this could be interesting.

2. macrumors 603

OutThere

I'd be surprised if this thread didn't go up in smoke.

3. macrumors G3

It's gonna turn into an anti-smoking thread.

This has happened many times in the history of MacRumors.

It always ends up in a little flame war of smoke v no smoke.

Good luck.

4. macrumors 68000

Peyton

5. macrumors 68020

killuminati

Today I got sworn at for coughing when the person standing right in front of me started smoking.

6. macrumors 65816

jadekitty24

I smoke. Off and on. Soon enough I'll drop it like a hot potato, and pick it up again like a tasty french fry.
    Yeah, that was a bit lame...I must go now...

7. macrumors 6502

I smoke Newports and have no urge to quit any time soon.

8. macrumors 65816

plinkoman

hahaha, good one...

I don't smoke; never have never will. I don't want to breath in that filth, but unfortunately, since most smokers are incredibly rude about when and where they smoke, I have to constantly deal with that crap. I cannot stand walking to class having to breath that crap.

when you smoke that crap, you're not only killing yourself, but your killing me, and it drives me crazy that there is nothing I can do to avoid it.

jerks :rolleyes:

9. Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Smoking is bad. M...kay?

Seriously: I smoked for 14 years before I, on a whim, bought a pack of nicotine gum instead of a pack of cigarettes a Friday afternoon in May 1998. Went home, smoked my last three cigarettes (mmm... Prince Lights...), then started chewing. Fast forward 2 and a half years and I was so fed up with nicotine gum (at the time I was down to 1 or 2 each day) so I just gave them up, too. Not touched a cigarette since that Friday in 1998.

Now I can go for minutes without wanting a smoke... :eek: ;)

10. macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I quite smoking way back when Madonna was just getting started. A pack of cigs was 75 cents. ;)

11. macrumors 68000

Leareth

Don't smoke, neither do any of my friends and family
    too expensive and triggers my migraines :rolleyes:

12. thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe this was not the best of ideas. :)

I do not want all of this to start, so it shall not. I just wanted statistics.

Just please do not be rude. It really is unbecoming – much more so than smoking – but that is just an opinion as well.

13. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I don't smoke... and never will.

As for smokers rights:
    I feel things are fine they way they are now. As long as they don't interfere with my life, I won't interfere with theirs.

14. macrumors 604

scem0

I've never touched a cigarette and probably never will. Too detrimental to the health and super expensive to boot! I wouldn't take someone's right to smoke away from them though :).

e

15. macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    i smoke...:(

hopefully this thread could be good in suggesting successful quitting stories.

I really want to quit...BC is about as anti smoking as it gets...and now I have hardly any friends who smoke, and I can't smoke indoors..so I'm in the best postion ever to quit.

16. macrumors 68000

Try telling me that when i'm in the middle of an asthma attack triggered by someone smoking. if I don't pass out first i'd be glad to let you know my thoughts.

Or try telling that to the nonsmokers who die of lung cancer from secondhand smoke.

17. macrumors G4

dmw007

Same here, on both counts. :)

18. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Wanting to quit is the first step.

I personally liked Mitthrawnuruodo's method. One day, just go for the gum instead of a pack of cigarettes. If it doesn't work out the first time, you can always try again later.

I know, it probably doesn't mean much coming from a non-smoker, but I'm just trying to help. :)

19. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

In my opinion, it can't be blamed entirely on the smoker. These days, you really only have to be around a smoker if you want to. (This is excluding, of course, the poor kids who have smokers for parents.)

It takes a lot of secondhand smoke to cause lung cancer. Your not going to get it from just walking past a lit cigarette.

20. macrumors G4

dmw007

I think that you are right EricNau- wanting to quit is the first step and Mitthrawnuruodo's method is probably a great way to quit if you want to do so. :)

21. macrumors member

SublimeProgie

i smoke, and i think that the regulations that are in place are acceptable. i can see where people dont want smoke around them, and i think that is all good stuff.

22. thread starter macrumors 6502

Asthma is terrible. I know those who are plagued by it; therefore, smoking around them is not a good thing. My only point is that there are so many other horrible pollutants in the air that the person is inhaling; of course, secondhand smoke should not be added to that. I just do not understand the logic of anyone who chastizes smokers and then pollutes the air themselves with smoke in any form.

Secondhand smoke research is obscure at best along with research on a plethora of other subjects.

I am not a smoking advocate. No one should start.

I am glad that we are all for personal freedoms here which I have noticed after reading other threads such as these. :)

23. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Really. What type of place were you at?

24. macrumors 68020

killuminati

I had just gotten off the bus and was walking to school. The person directly in front of me lights up and of course since we're walking and I'm behind him, I get all the smoke blown right in my face. I start coughing and he turns around and starts cursing and yelling at me.

25. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Dang, that's bad!