Smooth Criminal

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Peyton, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

Hey, I was wondering what criminal activity we have here on MR.

I am clean other than my 14 speeding tickets and 32 parking violations. I know, its bad.

You?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

100% clean as far as I know.

Hrmmm... well... I guess I did get pulled over once for going 95 in a 55. Still not sure *why* I didn't get in trouble at all but...

And I got a parking meter ticket once but it wasn't my car I was driving and I never paid it.

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

great freaking song.

one speeding ticket

one talking to by some cops when i was about 7 for throwing snowballs at cars (the cool, older kids were doing it)

caught stealing a soda one time at the teen center (trying to be cool, again)

think that's more or less it

4. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

14 speeding tickets? Have you learned your lesson yet?

I'm clean except for a few parking tickets (mostly street cleaning with a few residential permit parking violations), which are more or less unavoidable in San Francisco. Not exactly criminal activity.

5. Peyton thread starter macrumors 68000

Peyton

14, schmorteen, several of them are 'improper turning' '1 day expired tags' yadda yadda. I speed, I live in a metro/rural area where I can speed safely (nice roads) so I do. And its fun. and my dad is a lawyer and can get me out of them.

I've been to traffic school 3 times though and accelerated driver school for these tickets.

Annie are you ok?? Annie are you ok??
    I'm a smooth criminal :cool:

6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Well they're not speeding tickets then, are they? ;)

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Eh... one warning ticket (for speeding) waaaaaay back in 1996... was doing 80 MPH in a 70 MPH section of I-85 and the officer who pulled me over explained that the 10 MPH rule (wherein it's usually OK to go up to 10 MPH over the limit) was overridden by the "thou shalt not go 80 MPH EVER in the state of North Carolina" rule.

So my record's completely clean, as I don't believe that warning tickets are really entered into the system.

8. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

When I was 12 I got some stale candy while trick-or-treating, so being the bad-ass rebel that I was I threw it at a car that was driving by. The car slowed down and a hand reached out from inside and slapped a siren on the roof. My friends and I scattered, but two of them got picked up...

...of course, we were 12 so they were just taken home and the police told their parents what they did.

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Don't hang out in public parks after sundown. Period.

Even though I wasn't doing anything illegal, cops always show up and kill a good 2 hours of your evening by thoroughly questioning and humiliating you.

No tickets for me. Parking or any other. :D :knocks on wood:

Er... and one issue which I won't disclose in public. :p

10. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Surely the definition of a smooth criminal is one who doesn't get caught?

So no record... and no bragging on here ;)

11. i.Feature macrumors 6502

i.Feature

Do you really expect those of us who have had... I mean do you think that those types would say if we...I mean they did...

I have to leave now.

12. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I did time in both Alcatraz and San Quentin... but then our tour groups left.

My life of crime was fully documented in the Ever committed a crime? thread. No arrests or convictions since then.

13. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

14. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

15. Mr. Durden macrumors 6502a

Probably about 12 speeding tickets.

1 assault with a deadly weapon (later dropped)

2 counts illegal gambling ($1500 fines and some community service)

1 evading police (plea bargained down in the gambling charges)

1 charge tax evasion (dropped)

Those are the high points. Probably some minor things being left out...;)

16. neut macrumors 68000

neut

I farted once ...

I've talked myself out of too many DUIs ... i no longer find myself in that situation now that im out of the university. Never drink and drive (personally i think talking on a cell phone is worse than having a beer in the car).

Seriously though, waking up in a holding cell is no fun. Only one real charge and one road ticket (late emissions check). I actually felt pretty good about myself after the comminity service. Long story (shortened) about the charge; i contest that i was drugged. I do not remember, but i was told i was arrested during an after concert brawl (the cops nabbed random drunks to break up the fight). I was not involved, but was drunk enough to mouth off to the cops (i would guess). It was an interesting experience none the less. Not my idea of a good time though. ;)

Stay in school. :cool:

peace | neut

17. lanray macrumors regular

arrested once

I was sent a requisition for proof of insurance, only I had moved and the note wasn't forwarded. I had a headlamp out (had just burnt out a few days earlier, and I didn't have a chance to replace it). I was pulled over, then arrested! The cop was a total jerk, too. He said something about 9/11, and treated me roughly as though I were some international threat. Anyways, they processed me and sent me home. I went to court and the entire thing was taken from my record; the judge even let me go early and apologized. Scary stuff, though.

18. neut macrumors 68000

neut

You must be brown ... i get that treatment at the airport. :rolleyes:

peace | neut

19. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Okay I've worked up the nerve to say how I've gotten in trouble. :eek:

I got an MIP- minor in possession. A group of buddies assured me that tons of people go to the beaches (in Santa Cruz) and drink w/out ever getting busted. Sigh. We got busted. Each of us were fined $400 and now we have a misdemeanor on our records. :(

On our court day, a girl showed up because she was caught in possession of an ounce of weed. She got away with NOTHING. No fine. No community service. Nothing. Guess it became evident to us how Santa Cruz feels about alcohol vs. weed.

20. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I got a ticket once for following to close but the judge just laughed and cleared it for me.

I have ran from the cops when we would play with fireworks. I was young and dumb. Now it is just dumb.

21. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Well, i just figured out where im moving too ... ;p

I got caught with a dime bag in high-school. The cop took it (i assume he smoked it). He asked for the pipe, but i told him we used a can and threw it out. He let us go and said not to go out that way durng lunch hour. I had an ounce on the floor and three pipes in the car. :D

More people smoke it than you think. ;)

peace | neut

22. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Well, I once got caught doing 94 in a 65 (just before that I was doing 120). Driver's School Level II was required.

When I was 17 I plastered gay pride stickers on about 20 cars in a church parking lot, right next to the Jesus Fish. Never got caught on that one... But the reactions were great!

I smoked a TON of weed between the ages of 13 and 16, enough to make any hippy jealous.

I also helped a friend get revenge on his apartment manager by photoshopping a license plate tag, then having a tow company come get it for expired tags. 150 bucks for impound? Sounds good.

I could go on...

23. vniow macrumors G4

I like you.

24. Lau Guest

Somehow I seem to have the luck to always get away with it. I've never stole anything from a shop or that sort of thing, but I have done a lot of stuff that's technically illegal, though not necessarily damaging to anyone - underage drinking, smoking pot underage and that kind of thing. I've always been blessed with looking a lot older than I am and first got served in a pub when I was 14, so tended to get away with acquiring things underage, especially with well honed ID faking skillz. :D I think I'm fairly good at talking my way out of stuff as well, although that may have been a skill learnt by necessity. :p

Me and my flatmate did get a bit of a telling off by a policeman for nicking a wheelbarrow off a building site and pushing it around the corner, and then (mistakenly) into the plate glass window of the Point Hotel in Edinburgh. Fortunately the window was made of some kind of super-glass so stayed intact, and he made us take it back. He was a good sport though and waved at us from the police car when we saw him a few minutes later. :D

We'd only gone out for one pint as well. Story of my life....:rolleyes:

25. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

i went to court to fight a ticket i got after an accident.

I said "i didn't do it" --- it was iron clad -- i won my case, and still made it in time to get back to class