smooth fonts <= 8 pts. ?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by macagain, Jun 20, 2002.

1. macagain macrumors regular

does anyone know a hack to force fonts <=8 points to smooth too? the control panel poplist only goes down to 8. the mixture of smooth fonts and non-smooth fonts is really disturbing...

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

You may find a tweak in TinkerTool, I'm not sure and I can't check 'cause I'm at work at the moment, but you could give it a go.

3. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Perhaps more disturbing will be the migraines you may experience after straining to read that tiny antialiased text... :)

4. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Yeah you can. Sizes 0 and up, in fact. He he he...

I'd have to agree that you'll probably end up with a headache reading antialiased text at 8 pts and below... Unless you have a very big monitor...

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

There's very little benefit of anti-aliased text that small! You've only got so many pixels to work with, ya know...

6. macagain thread starter macrumors regular

thanks folks...

though tinkertool had a setting for font smoothing size constraints, it didn't seem to make a diff in chimera (which i believe is cocoa).

the thing is that i have a rev b. tibook and 1152x768 on the nice big screen is like running 800x600 on a 14" ... even "small" fonts are quite "big"

i almost shelled out for a 800 with the really nice screen, but i figured i'd hold out for a 1gig...