Smooth upgrade to OS X 10.3 (Panther)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Shrek, Jan 5, 2003.

1. Shrek macrumors 65816

Shrek

Who here would like none other than to be able to upgrade your Mac OS operating system to the latest version with the smoothest transition possible?

Today, upgrading your operating system to Jaguar is plagued by performance issues, bugs, OS instability and the like. The only way to avoid these problems is to backup your files, wipe out your entire hard drive and install a fresh copy of your new operating system, but in many instances that may be too drastic for a lot of users. Wouldn't it be nice if we could just upgrade the OS (without installing a fresh copy) without a plague of problems associated with it?

If you are for this movement, leave your comments and sign the petition. And remember, Apple is watching this thread. ;)

P.S. Alternatively, Apple could make a way to easily backup your crucial data and system settings and incorporate that into the new version after installing it. :cool:

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

I'm all for it. I wiped my HD and installed Jaguar, so i never had the problems, but wiping the hard drive was annoying...

i can't imagine the average user wanting to deal with this. Very un-Apple to have this lack of new software integration...

:(
    pnw

3. Noiseboy macrumors regular

While I appreciate that some people had trouble with upgrading to Jaguar it would be interesting to know just what percentage of the total they actually were. I had no problems at all and none of my friends did either. I didn't even do an archive and install, I just upgraded and it worked perfectly as I'm sure the Apple engineers designed it to. It wasn't untill after I'd installed it that I read of anybody having anything but smooth sailing.
    Having said that, I would be very happy to see a completely stress free upgrade operation when 10.3 comes along, it's always a bit nerve racking even though I have pretty much everything backed up onto an external drive. So, yes, add me to the list, I'm all for the pain free life.

Cheers.

4. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Welcome back, Shrek. And you're 100% right. Having to do a clean install for an update is very M$-like.

I know some people had problems with the upgrade, but I used the upgrade version and it worked very well. I did the upgrade because I was too busy to do the full install. A while later, when I had the time, I did some benchmarks, wiped my drive, and did a clean install of 10.2. I then re-ran the benchmarks, and the results were almost identical. Only a few small differences, nothing that couldn't be explained by the fact the test was a year-old install vs a brand new install.

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

I installed the upgrade and it was fairly good, I thought thats all jaguar was, but after a fresh install, it was amazingly faster than better.

And after upgrading to 10.2 , I realised that my Speedtouch USB modem has not worked with it, which left me in the rough, but after some searching I found a driver for it. After All this I got to enjoy how good jaguar was, I only have 1 kink in it, so it worked out ok for me.

6. Zion Grail macrumors regular

Hell yeah. I really don't want problems upgrading. I don't want to have to wipe this HDD. I just got done switching!

I'd love to see a cheaper upgrade path, and a smooth install. I've had too good a time on this machine to want to see it screwed now.

7. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

It'd be nice to have a smooth transition, but if you install haxies, or even use the computer, Apple really has no idea what state your computer is in, so when it installs the new OS, it might wipe out some of your preferences, or conflict with some haxies. I had major issues, but I messed around with 10.1 quite a bit, so I really couldn't complain...

8. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

exactly. there are lots of apps out there that do weird things to the system. apple can't track every possible configuration you have on your system. an archive and install worked fine for me.

9. cubist macrumors 68020

I had a completely generic system, yet the upgrade wiped out the Users folder. Completely.

The most important thing to do to prepare yourself for 10.3 is to brace yourself to pay another $129... or more :(

10. crassusad44 macrumors 6502a

I've had no problems what so ever with upgrading from 10.1 to 10.2. And I've installed Jaguar on several machines...

There's always someone who experience problems while upgrading, but I do not belive this is a big issue with 10.2... Upgrading in X has been super-smooth for me