Sms Blogging

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by TBR, Mar 29, 2004.

1. TBR macrumors 6502

Feb 14, 2004
    Blackpool - England
    Right I've spent much to long on numerous occassions trying to find a way of sending sms messages so that they would appear on my website, either seperate or as part of my blog from blogger.

No luck...

You either have to pay for the service or have to be scaryly techie.

Now there has to be someone out there with the knowledge to make this possible and produce a Mac friendly package, we Mac users are an enlightened bunch.

So anyone have any idea's of a way to do this?

I'd imagine that it would have to be an sms sent as an e-mail to Mail and then some funky applescript. Or even some sms=> email gateway from some company or something....

So the gauntlet is laid down, the challenge is set. You could become the defacto Mac moblogging master. :)
  2. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    Well, since I have no kind of expierience with SMS, cell phones, etc, I will be a little limited, but I might be able to help you out a little here. If you know how to send an SMS as an email, to your email address that you can check in mail, then it makes it a lot easier.

I could (keyword - could, if there is a lot of support, which there doesn't really look to be, but maybe I could rustle up some mac bloggers) write an applescript studio application that will have Mail check for new mail, and snag emails with the subject, say, "blog". The applescript would take the content of the email and write it to a text file. From here I'm a little sketchy on what I would be able to do. If there is support and this goes through, the user would have to simply have Apache (or whatever) create a directory listing of the folder with all the entries in it. Then people visiting the blog would be able to click on the text files that the wanted to read. This seems like a workaround system, but it could work. I would enjoy seeing some backup support (people who would want to use the app) so that I could know that people were interested. In a later version I might be able to have the program slip the blog entry in between some comment tags in the HTML code of the blog, but that would be much more effort on my part.

If there's someone who knows how, they could write a PHP/CGI/Whatever script that would take the text files and put them into some sort of HTML format, which is something I have no clue about how to do. This would make it much easier and more streamlined, since Applescript isn't very well suited to text and file manipulation. The script would simply have to take the strategically named text files and put them into cells of a table.

We'll see won't we?