SMS limit on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Nobita, Feb 21, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

I've just sent a 400-character long sms and it went through... But I'm just wondering, what's the actual limit of the characters in iphone?

I'm live in Australia and my carrier is Optus if that matters... My iPhone is iPhone 4 running iOS 4.2

2. macrumors Core

miles01110

Your message may have been 400 characters long, but it was divided up into blocks of 140 and sent sequentially. In theory there shouldn't be a limit on the phone itself.

3. macrumors 603

firestarter

The messages have a 160 character limit. (140 bytes, but packed using 7 bits for western character sets).

4. ckc
    macrumors member

In the UK on Vodafone the limit for a text message is 3x160 characters, in excess of that it is sent as a MMS message.

That also applies to inclusive minutes from your package, if the messages exceeds the 3x160 it is sent and charged as a MMS not as three text messages.

5. macrumors member

I think in the US Verizon lets you send up 7X160 characters to other Verizon phones, if it goes to another carrier it will divide them up. I guess it will very greatly by carrier.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502

I know the limit is 160 and if I send more than that it will get divided, but at which number is the maximum?