Snail Mail - Mail app takes 60sec+ to launch

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jrober, Feb 7, 2005.

1. jrober macrumors regular

jrober

All,

On both my iMac G3 and Powerbook G4 1.33Ghz mail is very slow to launch. Sometimes over a minute. I think this is since the last security update but cannot be sure. Both have enough RAM and are running 10.3 with all updates.

Has anyone else experienced this? What would I do to alleviate this and how?

John

2. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Theres been reports of a slowdown from the last security update. Some people's problems were fixed when they turned off airport first, then launch mail, and then reopen airport. Macfixit.com has some reports of the same problem right now... Unfortunally, you cannot uninstall a security update, so prob. the only way is to do a archive and install from the Mac OS CDs :( Someone please correct me if im wrong.

3. petej macrumors regular

Lots of discussions on this over at the Apple discussions forum. Apple are taking a keen interest in finding out what is going wrong.
    I found the solution that worked for me over there. This was to manually enter the DNS servers of my ISP directly into the Networking setup on my powerbok. This speeded up mail from 60+ seconds back to almost instant.

My set up is a powerbook going via airport to a Netgear ADSL Modem / wireless router. The DNS server IP addresses were found by looking at the config page of the router.

4. jrober thread starter macrumors regular

jrober

Thanks all, off to Apple discussions for more info.

Update, I am behind a router so adding my isp's DNS servers (primary and secondary) in my Airport TCPIP network connections solves the problem but a longer term resolution from Apple would be nice.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Did 10.3.8 fix it like Apple claimed it would?

6. yogi477 macrumors regular

I had the same problem, fixed in the latest update so nothing to worry about. Same with iChat as well.