snail paced network initialization...

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by steeleclipse, Mar 20, 2003.

1. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

I have DP867 with a gig of RAM and it FLIES!... Except for when the startup screen comes up... it used to fly until I configured my ethernet connection to handle SMB communication with windoze boxes and being connected to DSL (PPPoE) at the same time.

It takes a minute or two to get past the OS X screen (with the startup screen saying: waiting for network initialization) and its getting real boring real fast...

Does anybody have the same issue, and is there any way to speed it up? Let me know if I wasn't clear enough :D

Thanks

2. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

It's most likely the DSL (PPoE).

OS X waits for a network connection during boot up, and any talking back and forth there will slow everything down.

I see slow downs when I boot up without a network connection. Solution: resart less often. ;)

4. Mac til death macrumors regular

Re: ATTN: 10.2 network experts...

I used to have the same problem at start up (DP867 also, but I don't think it's the 'puter). I had to wait until the network initialization to timeout.

Anyway, here's how I fixed it. In your system preferences click on the Network Preference Pane, select your locations one by one, and check your Network Port Configurations to make sure that you don't have more than one device checked.

That's what fixed it for me. I hope that works for you. If I wasn't clear enough I can give you more detailed instructions.

Well, I hope that helped.

5. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

cool... it did work, however now if i want to connect to my network, i have to go into preferences and check LAN to work.. is this what you meant? is there a way to run them both right away without going into preferences??? If not, that is ok because it is WAY better than it was, but it would be nice not to have to change config settings every time...

I would just like to have my cake and eat it too :D

6. Mac til death macrumors regular

just add a second location and select built-in eithernet as it's network port configuration. I believe that should work.

you'll just have to switch your location via the Apple menu when you want to switch from one to the other (such as from modem to eithernet).

7. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

8. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502