Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
With Miranda Kerr as my girlfriend, I'd be recording every life moment with these glasses.
Just think. You'd be able to endlessly replay the moment she breaks up with you because she's tired of hanging with a nerdy-spec-wearing guy who's more interested in recording his awesome life than living it.

A somewhat brutal manifestation of the observer effect.

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Reminds me of how everyone thought Google Glass was going to succeed.
It is an amazing piece of technology though - I was lucky enough to try them out a couple of years ago. Probably way too early to reach the mass market. I would love to have a set today if there had been more app development for them.

The Snap Spectacles are just a cheap plastic toy compared to the now (3 or 4 year?) old Google Glass though.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
I don't understand this obsession with recording everything on video. How many people go back and actually watch the mundane s*** they recorded while looking around through their glasses?

precogincog

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2016
Reminds me of how everyone thought Google Glass was going to succeed.

I still they they could have succeeded if they didn't become a "fashion" thing instead of a function thing (because why else would you wear glasses). Like those toe shoes.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Circular video format is the dumbest thing I have heard in a long time. EVERY SCREEN you can watch these videos on will be rectangular.

Just trying way too hard to "be different", "break with conventions", and "change things up", just for the sake of it. Really lame and forced. o_O

superman23

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2011
it's so people who view those Snaps know that you were using Spectacles. The foundation of Snapchat is transparency and this fits in here too. It's like a piece of fashion that puts an image filter into physical form. it's a pet project not the future of the company.

you have no idea how many times per day young girls are snap chatting. one of them will get the glasses, there will be lots of up close pics of her friends boobs, we'll watch, we'll view ads.

Last edited:

kgtenacious

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I'm sure some guy wearing these will get just as warm a reception at parties and bars as people wearing Google Glasses did...

Reactions: satcomer

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014
Also, it's common mistake made by Google and now Snapchat , to think if they like surveillance and spying on people , that everybody will like it , too!

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
There's a privacy concern that is gradually fading away as the generation that Spectacles was built for have grown up expecting cameras everywhere and not only not caring that they're being filmed but craving it. Older folks will hate it but the world will no longer be built for them.
Problem is, as with google glass, it does not film the idiot wearing this thing but everyone else...VERY bad idea especially as this is meant to be share all that stuff...lawsuits will pretty much outpace the salesnumbers.
Don't forget, it's usualy those pesky "older folks" that make the laws and enforce them in court...

kattskrall

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2012
While this is intended for the Snapchat generation, I can't help but imagine a more mainstream application for something like this.

Google Glass was too early for its time but its time may be coming. A pair of glasses that records everything that you see while wearing them is something that could exist in an era of unlimited storage which cloud computing will inevitably lead to. Artificial intelligence able to recognize and index objects, moments and people would make it possible to search our lives for memories. "Show me that time when I first noticed my wife walking out of Macy's".

There's a privacy concern that is gradually fading away as the generation that Spectacles was built for have grown up expecting cameras everywhere and not only not caring that they're being filmed but craving it. Older folks will hate it but the world will no longer be built for them.

Just lol. Do you believe that virtual reality will succeed too? And artificial intelligence? Please.

And this this "People will crave being filmed" now you're scaring me dude. I hope that you won't end up in a position of power anywhere.

Seeing a comment like this getting upvoted is making me baffled how gullible people really are.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
I don't understand this obsession with recording everything on video. How many people go back and actually watch the mundane s*** they recorded while looking around through their glasses?

Dont knock it. If there is one thing i regret is not shooting more video 10-15 years ago instead of just taking zillions of pictures. Even a low-res 2 minute snippet of video is enough to "take you back" whereas pictures are just...pictures. And oddly its the mundane stuff thats the good stuff.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Interesting given how everyone else is running away from hardware and wants to be a service company.

On a side note, until these tech companies get a better understanding of fashion these "glasses" ideas will always fail.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
Like G glass, people hated the invasion of privacy potential. At the beach, at the mall, etc....and for all the inappropriate and general creepiness of ' upskirting' photos, this is just as bad. A freaks dream and a decent person's worst nightmare. And ...I gotta tel ya, the weird expression on that CEO's face says it all....creepy guy....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.