Sneak Attack on Organic Food Standards

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by scem0, Sep 20, 2005.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

We need to tell our Senators that we don't want major food corporations like Kraft and Wal-Mart determining what can go into organic products.

It doesn't take long to contact your senators, this is more important than one may think!

_Emerson

2. ~loserman~ macrumors 6502a

No offense intended here but I could care less.
    If the food tastes good to me I'll eat. I don't care if the secret ingredient is dog sheet.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm lucky to have plenty of organic stuff available around me. But, if the government guts these regulations (surprise surprise, favoring big business over the citizenry) there are still several organic standards that you can look for. It just won't show on all the big stuff, and stupid people will fall for the Kraft 'organic' velveeta, the same way they fall for the 'no-fat' (but 50 pounds of sugar) cookies.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

And the exact point of your post is?

You're welcome to stuff your gob with whatever flavourings the chemical industry can concoct in their labs but don't be so dismissive towards organic food standards.

As part of a larger picture, this is pretty serious stuff as conglomerates slowly erode standards that are meant to protect consumers and suppliers, using lobbyists to push their agenda in the halls of power, watering down what should be iron-cast guarantees of food quality.

I occasionally buy certain organic foodstuffs... particularly bread, fruit and cereals.

5. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Hope you enjoy your dogsheet cookies ~loserman~, because that's what you'll be getting.

It's hard enough to find food that isn't actively bad for you. Now they gotta sell out the stuff specifically labeled to be good for you, too. Guess Kraft thought "organic" was too high-prestige a label to pass up.

Freakin' owned Senators.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

This is the agribiz giants' way of destroying an emerging market.

Small farmers are uniquely positioned to take advantage of the organics market.

By diluting the organic label, the ConAgras of the nation will either cash in on the market themselves or they'll destroy the market because people will know the label is worthless.

Monopoly 101

7. Lau Guest

Thanks Emerson, I sent them an email.

It's quite right that these standards should be upheld. At the moment we still have the choice. Some make one choice, some make the other, but the point is, we have the choice and that should be protected.

8. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

This sucks. The whole I shop at Trader Joes is because they sell mostly organic food. Some of the fish is farm raised, but I avoid that stuff. And they have Weetbix, and Hemp Seed Granola.

Eh, this would be a mistake, it would be very difficult to sell American made organic products with such low standards.

9. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

People that don't care about clean food, air and water are in serious denial and must like eating industrial pesticides, toxic waste (sold in fetilizer) and other goodies. Then they wonder why health insurance and health costs are so high in the US.

Along with GMF (genetically modified foods) this attack on Organics is the latest in a long line of attacks by companies like Monsanto, DuPont, etc. I am fortunate to live in a county that has the highest per capita of organic farmers in the US. We have been fighting big industry agri-business for decades.

Thanks for posting the email link.

10. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

phew... glad to see that I'm not the only one who cares :).

_Emerson

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's not why I disagree with Loserman.

If I am paying for something that's labelled "Organic," I better be getting organic food. If I'm buying crap at McDicks, then that's what I'll get. However, at least I know what I'm getting.

Organic Foods have a very special definition, and that should be upheld. No artificial stuff. By making it easier for large corporations to call something organic will only result in higher prices for something that isn't organic at all. Pay more, but there's still crap in it.

I don't mind if people are happy with their food as long as it tastes good. I'm one of them. However, if the rest of the population pays more for organic food, that's what they should get in return. Otherwise it's just a big money-making sceme.

The UK is quite good with their organic foods. It was so easily accessible as well. The problem may be that money controls everything in the US, and so if a large corporation wants to sell non-organic foods with an "organic" label on it so that they can charge more money for it, then it's still okay. :rolleyes: