Sneaky Applecare price increase.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by bthom70, Oct 28, 2005.

1. bthom70 macrumors member

May 10, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    So I'm a soon to be switcher.
    I've been following the whole Powerbook upgrade on Tues scenario for over 6 months.
    Now that it has finally happened however incremental these changes are it finally happened.
    I will soon be buying a 15.2" Powerbook with AppleCare with my Education Discount, as a Grad student my needs for a portable stable computer is a must. Plus my main desktop AMD 3200 with XP is being used by my other 1/2 while I have been temporarily using an IBM x21 laptop PIII500 with XP.

I put the 2 in my cart last night and there was a $40US difference from what I was looking at last weekend.

Upon further digging, Apple has decided to add a new P/N that has "Auto enroll" for AppleCare.

AppleCare Protection Plan for PowerBook (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll
    Part Number: S2304Z/A $279US

AppleCare Protection Plan for PowerBook (w/ or w/o Display)
    Part Number: M8853LL/A $239US

I can manually search and add the cheaper AppleCare but I think this is sneaky to the uneducated or rather the person that is unaware a change has taken place.

When you add any powerbook to your cart you have 1 choice for "Auto Enroll"

Upon further investigation the iBook has a similar change but has the same price.

AppleCare Protection Plan for iBook - Auto-enroll
    Part Number: S2303Z/A $249US

Part Number: M8852LL/A $249US

Sneaky and Vile.
  2. carpe diem macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2005
    That slimy, may be you guys claimed to much on apple care
  3. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

May 24, 2003
    I don't think that factors in. The original poster doesn't have his PowerBook yet, and I don't think Apple denies coverage or raises "premiums" based on prior claims.
  4. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    Wow.. I can't fathom why anyone will deal with such a slimy company at that.. oh wait..
  5. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    I don't get it. I still just see the $239 whether you're adding it or buying it separately. I can't find a part number for S2304Z/A either. Maybe it was just a glitch?
  6. bthom70 thread starter macrumors member

May 10, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    Maybe it was a glitch, maybe someone from Apple saw my post either way it has changed.

I should have saved that cart, it would have been proof.

oh well.. Hopefully this weekend I can swipe the plastic and buy the 15.2 Powerbook I've been longing for all summer.

Switch is in the ON position.

edit: from the non-education normal store.. the P/N does work but the price is the normal $329US