Sneaky Sneaky Apple...... (refurb Applecare..)

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Stelliform, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    OK, I bought a refurb iMac 17" (By the way awesome machine!!!!) Anyway, I was having a speaker problem and I called Applecare and I discovered it starts at the original purchase. Not my purchase date...

I just discovered this... And this is my second refurb. (I never had a problem with the first one...)

<Sigh> Oh well typical Apple fine print... :D It is still a cool machine!! :D:D
  2. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    :eek: Are you kidding?
    That's crazy!
    I've been thinking about buying a refurb eMac. What kind of problems are you having, and when was the original purchase date (how old are these things?).
    It doesn't actually affect me too much because I can't afford AppleCare even with the refurb price :p

from apple
    "AppleCare Protection Plan (APP):
    Get peace of mind about your Apple product. The AppleCare Protection Plan extends your built-in AppleCare coverage to a full three years from the purchase date of your Apple product. This comprehensive plan includes telephone support, Apple-certified repairs, web-based support resources, and powerful diagnostic tools--all for one economical price. The AppleCare Protection Plan is available for refurbished products that were purchased on or after May 1, 2001. (EXCEPTION: The AppleCare Protection Plan is NOT available for new or refurbished iPods.) "

that's not quite what they imply...
  3. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    Well I bought mine around 9/12/03, but Apple shows the original purchase date as 2/16/03... If you buy a refurb ask your sales person for a fresh one. :p

Maybe I got a confused tech. I will check it out when I have energy.

My problem was with the external speakers. And since I suspected hardware the apple tech would stay on the phone until he felt it was software. Then I would have to cough up $40 to talk to him. Turns out I think it is a weak wire in the speaker line, but I didn't figure that out until after the call. (My son moved the speakers and they were working when I called :eek:) Kinda bad when you say my speakers aren't working... Oops maybe they are... :D
  4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    well phone support is only free for 90 days maybe thats what caused the intial panic
  5. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    Yup he told me I was out of my free phone support.... Which if I didn't know what I was doing with a Mac I might have been upset... But I probably know more about OS X than the guys answering Applecare...:rolleyes:
  6. Fender2112 macrumors 6502a

Aug 11, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Yep, as do most of the folks that read these boards. :)
  7. Nicky G macrumors 6502a

Nicky G

Mar 24, 2002
    Baltimore & NYC
    You definitely get a full 90 days of phone support and 1 year warranty, even with a refurb. Call back, be polite, explain that you are 100% sure of the policy. Make sure they don't have the original owner info in the system, or something like that, causing the confusion.
  8. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    You are right Nicky and thanks for the confirmation. I also spoke with a local Mac nut who agrees with what you are saying. I need to call Apple back and clear this up, although I am not having the problem anymore...

Apple needs to train their techs better than this!
  9. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    OK, I called Applecare today to setup my Powerbook applecare.. And I asked about my iMac care. He pulled up my account and made sure everything was ok. Purchase date is 9/10/03, not February.

The more I think about it, I think that other guy was trying to sell me Applecare. He mentioned it several times... :rolleyes:

If I knew his name I would call and report him. (Although I told the good tech what he told me...)

So in short, Refurbs have a full warranty, just like the new stuff.