Snickers ad killed following complaints from gay rights groups

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Feb 7, 2007.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I think Snickers (well, Mars) made a stupid decision. It was a dumb commercial... I can completely see where the GLBT community is coming from.
    There are also two other versions floating around the 'nets where to 'reclaim their manliness' they drink motor oil and club each other with wrenches. :rolleyes:

I've also heard arguments that the commercial isn't anti-gay, it's making fun of homophobes. *shakes head*

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Homophobic? I don't think so but I can see how some people would see it that way.

It was silly and funny to me but they could have used better looking men. ;)

4. calculus Guest

calculus

I kind of agree with you but there is another way of looking at it as a satire on 'manly' behaviour - bearing in mind that the two guys end up looking like complete idiots.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I personally thought it was amusing but i can see where people are coming from. I dunno sometimes I think people think too much about things as well.

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I hear what you're saying, but I didn't have to think about it at all. I had an immediate bad reaction to it. As a satire I can see where it's coming from I guess. It just seemed like everything I saw growing up, you know?

I'm not in complete condemnation of it, but do they seriously think no one gay watches the Super Bowl? I mean, come on.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

People take everything way to serious, We have become a nation of babies that at the sign of anything unpleasant cry foul. Someone is always offended by something, so where does it stop. If everyone complans about everything we would not have anything to watch.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

for me, the only superbowl commercial that was any good was the one with bob goulet. that was awesome.

regarding the snickers one, i'd like to think that we, as a society, can have some fun wrt sexuality. so what combination of characters would have been acceptable in such an ad? a lesbian and a gay man accidentally kissing? they'd both react in horror and re-assert their sexualities in some way. would that be more or less offensive? or are such topics verboten in advertising?

9. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Walk up to an African-American while you're in black face, call him the "n" word and then say it was just a joke. Then I want you to call that person a baby. :rolleyes: Let me know how that works out for you.

I already said I wasn't completely PO'd by it. It just seems that we should be able to move past this kind of garbage, especially during a "manly" event like the Super Bowl. Do we really need to be playing into that kind of silliness?

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I think you're right zim. But you know what? In this case I thought it was contextual. Sort of like, "there's no place for homos in the Super Bowl" kind of a message. Anywhere else, you're right- I probably wouldn't have blinked. I would have read it as a total satire. It was perhaps a case of bad timing, REALLY bad timing.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Enough said?

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I agree that there is a lot of sensitivity but I wonder if its the same people that were upset with Janet Jackson's "malfunction".

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I thought that was the most ignorant part. :)

I seriously doubt it. ;)

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

How does an advertiser try to be edgy enough to sell a product yet try not to insult everyone, It is a hard line to draw while still try to sell a product.

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i can see your point.

16. spicyapple macrumors 68000

spicyapple

Snickers is getting a lot of press. Everyone is talking about them. Superbowl advertising dollars well spent.

Was the ad homophobic? No, just plain weird. The setup was totally implausible unlike the spaghetti scene in The Lady and The Tramp.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Most Superbowl ads are made to get people to talk about it the next day. They have the most people watching then on any other night so they want to get their moneys worth.

18. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the idea that talking, cartoon dogs dining Italian being more plausible than anything is my fun thought of the day.

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm in advertising. I don't insult everyone.

MacNut- read my earlier post to zim. I think this was bad timing and contextual. In another situation, I wouldn't have thought about it twice.

I even thought my negative reaction was off, until I realized why I had it.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ok I can agree with that, But if you would not have had a problem with it during another show, how is Snickers going to be able to read that when they made the commercial.

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It should have been simple. Their ad department is paid to think about such things. I don't think anybody would have had a problem with it during another show. The problem was they showed it during a huge, stereotypically homophobic sporting event, which gave it a certain "edge" that I think it otherwise wouldn't have had. That should have been obvious to any experienced ad person. Unless of course, the controversy was something they anticipated. After all, bad publicity is still gets you attention.

22. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Not a huge deal...it was a spoof on The Lady and the Tramp and a super "manly" men.

Personlly I think we should crack down on things that are meant to be gay hating(try to stop gay marriage ect) , not things that might offend people a little.(Maybe in one day, but for now Snicker's ads shouldn't be the target of equal rights groups.)

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Allways going to be some group somewhere who doesnt like what you do.You can say the sky is blue and someone will get all upset about it these days.:rolleyes: I liked the commercial and the group I was with all got a good laugh at it and thought it was funny.

Snickers shouldnt have backed down in my view. Freedom of speech is just that.

24. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Please read my posts #9 and 10. Hopefully that helps illustrate why this got the reaction it did. If not- I'm glad you got your laugh out of it. Did it make you run out and buy a Snickers?

25. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

If someone is going to complain about this ad, why dont they complain about the godaddy.com ad and the fact that there was no hot guys in the marketing room.

The snickers ad was silly and funny nothing more.